Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2016, 12:34 PM   #1

'04 986 S Newbie - battery charging/replacement issue please help

Hi Everyone -

I purchased an 04 986 S in late Fall. I was foolishly unaware of what to do to prepare the car for the Winter at that time, and when I went to start it up, the battery was dead. I can't access the hood with my key fob and would like to know the following:

- How do i access the hood without the key fob or hood release functioning?
- Can I jump start the battery with a Noco GB40 ion portable battery charger or should I use traditional charger cables?
- Should I replace the battery? If so, what is the best option? I understand the Moll battery has much to be desired. I live in NY, but may be moving to warmer climate in the near future.
- Are there issues I should be aware of if I were to replace the battery myself and/or should I just have it done by a Porsche mechanic?
- Finally, I bought a 986 battery tender - do I need to use it everyday?

I appreciate you reading my long-winded post and look forward to your timely replies.

Thank you very much.

Rich

gatogrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:00 PM   #2

Welcome,

You have a couple of options:
1) Get a battery charger that can connect to the cigarette lighter, recharge the battery, and then open the trunk.

2) use an external battery - ground the negative lead to the door sill on the drivers side and connect the positive lead to C3 in the fuse box.

I hope this helps!
Old 05-02-2016, 01:31 PM   #3

Garage
Replace the battery yourself; Porsche will really lighten your wallet. You should use the battery tender if you won't be starting the car for a week+; no need to use it day in and day out.

There are numerous threads relating to opening the frunk when the battery is dead: try searching the forum. Here's one: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/61089-another-dead-battery-locked-frunk-thread.html