Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2015, 04:53 PM   #1
netfix

1998 black boxster

hi everybody
let me introduce myself
i am from portugal, an half retired seo engeneer, and i just love porsches :-)
i had my first one in 1989 (an 996 carrera 4 convertible) and i went all the way to the top, my last one (2012) was an 997 turbo s convertible.
then my life went up side down and i had to sell it.
luckylly it seems to slowly beeing back again, and i just bought a 1998 986 boxster with 130000kms on the odometer that seems to be in pretty good shape thought it was parked for about 18 monthes.
however there are small issues that i would like to fix:
-the battery was flat so i had to replace it
-left door key hole just goes around, seems to have something lose inside.
-when i open the right door, the window doesn´t drop enough , it make the noise, drops a few milimeters and, but it is not enough to open or close de door
-on the dash board the clock sometimes apear and others doesn´t.

can anybody give me a few clues? is it possible that those issues are related with the fact that the car was parked for that time?
thanks in advance

Last edited by net_fix; 11-08-2015 at 04:58 PM.
net_fix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:14 AM   #2

welcome to the forum! we need photos of the new car in exchange for help

here's a little advice in advance.. the rest after we see proof

doesnt sound to me like those things are related to the car sitting (except the battery being dead).

the only issue i can help with is the window not dropping. that's your window regulator not working properly. there's a little plastic piece inside that breaks and leaves you with more slack in the cable not making the window drop enough to clear the seal. if you want to be sure, when the window drops a bit go ahead and push the window down with your hands the rest of the way. if it drops a bit more then there's slack in the cable.

use the search function on this forum there are loads of threads on this issue, it's very common. there is a fix using a 5$ bicycle cable (that might not last forever) or you could buy a new regulator for 150$ or get a used one if you're really on a budget but i wouldnt recommend it because it might break again and replacing it is not hard but a bit time consuming.

good luck with that and also, if you want more help go ahead and post in the GENERAL DISCUSSION section of this forum, not a lot of people check this one.

welcome back to the Porsche world! i'm sure you missed it
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:15 AM   #3

also, Oporto is a beautiful city! i went on a one week vacation there back when i lived in Spain and loved it! i do miss the food and wine

CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote