Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2015, 02:59 PM   #1

new Boxster owner from Miami!

hi everyone,

just got my hands on a nice looking 2000 Porsche Boxster and so far i'm loving the experience. it was hard to believe this thing is 15 years old but its owner took really good care of it.

limited edition color zenith blue (never heard of it until now) which i absolutely love:

car has 111k miles on it but hasnt been abused and has full maintenance records. drives well for its age and miles.

used to own a 2004 Suzuka blue Honda S2000 (RIP - total loss in a recent accident when a taxi driver decided to cut me off).

as much as i loved the vtec in the Honda this flat six is pretty sweet when it gets going and that intake right next to my ear never gets old.

will start going through this forum learning the ins and outs but any tips for a first time Porsche owner would be appreciated.
number one concern is IMS bearing which has never been touched and the original clutch is nowhere near worn out so i dont need to drop the tranny yet.

big question on my mind is should i bite the bullet and do it anyway? how much are we talking about for the job and parts? i want peace of mind but have a rather tight budget.

thanks!

Cristian

Last edited by CrisZenithBlue; 03-31-2015 at 03:32 PM.
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:46 PM   #2
still plays with cars...

Garage
Welcome!
That colour just pops. It's beautiful, and very clean looking too.
Enjoy the perma-grin!
As far as the bearing goes, if you're concerned, then get it done. It's well worth the peace of mind.
Cheers!
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:08 PM   #3

welcome, Have you heard of Pedro? He is very close and I think the nicest guy and an expert on 986. I would consider myself very lucky to be so close to his shop. You are now worry free because he is honest and KNOWS the car! have fun! I would definitly bring it to him for a ppi if you dont have one already.
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:11 PM   #4

just saw that color yesterday on a 99. guy said it was special order from PO. He said it was purple? to him. I liked it as well
Old 03-31-2015, 03:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicecar View Post
welcome, Have you heard of Pedro? He is very close and I think the nicest guy and an expert on 986. I would consider myself very lucky to be so close to his shop. You are now worry free because he is honest and KNOWS the car! have fun! I would definitly bring it to him for a ppi if you dont have one already.
that sounds great! can you help me with details on how to get in touch with him?

thanks!
Old 03-31-2015, 06:06 PM   #6

google pedros garage
Old 03-31-2015, 06:59 PM   #7

Quote:
google pedros garage
i did.. website is a gold mine!
will have to pay him a visit soon

thanks for the tip!
Old 04-01-2015, 07:07 AM   #8

Love the color! One came for sale not too long ago from me and I was tempted to snag it up lol.
antny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by antny View Post
Love the color! One came for sale not too long ago from me and I was tempted to snag it up lol.
tell me about it.. when i first saw this car in person i was already sold. good thing the rest checked out as well and it was an excellent buy
Old 04-03-2015, 03:04 AM   #10

Welcome!

Another Boxster in Miami! Hit me up if you ever wanna get together and talk about Boxsters
Old 04-06-2015, 03:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by batshapedheart View Post
Another Boxster in Miami! Hit me up if you ever wanna get together and talk about Boxsters
cool! sent you a PM
Old 04-15-2015, 07:15 AM   #12

Quote:

so i decided to get a new clutch (god i love my new clutch!!!) and DOF (direct oil feed) kit for the IMS bearing for peace of mind and i couldnt be happier. old clutch was still good but wouldnt have been long until i would need to change it. bearing (dual row) looked in good condition for 111.000 miles.

Pedro here in Miami hooked me up with everything and the work was performed at TuneRS shop in Coral Spring. they did a fantastic job and are extremely nice, knowledgeable and professional. Got to spend some time with the man himself and tap into his infinite knowledge of these cars. Pedro is indeed a really nice guy

replaced the completely torn front engine mount while there and boy does this car drive like new now.

i am one happy camper!

I recommend these guys for any help you need with your Boxster. very good and fair. they even included my clutch kit at the shops price so saved about 200$ there.

happy boxstering!
Old 04-15-2015, 12:40 PM   #13

Cris, I bet you are happy to have more low end torque to play with. I drove a S2000 once and to get any real grunt out of it I had to wind that motor up like a top and keep it wound up!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:46 PM   #14

Garage
As far as you IMS goes you should have a double row bearing, To calm your nerves have the oil changed take the filter cut it open (remove the end caps and unfold) no steel no problems. Have someone run diagnostics for the cam deviation, Under 5+/- your OK. Under 3 +/- your good 2 +/-or less smile.

By the way nice looking car and that my first choice if I buy another one.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
Cris, I bet you are happy to have more low end torque to play with. I drove a S2000 once and to get any real grunt out of it I had to wind that motor up like a top and keep it wound up!
yes sir! and i had the later model AP2 with the 2.2l engine so it had a bit more torque but you would need to keep it above 5500 to get it to really play ball. the good thing about it is it liked to be revved and because of the engine being so well engineered it was crazy reliable!

but the torque in this flat six is smooooooth and the noise is intoxicating!
Old 04-16-2015, 08:11 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
As far as you IMS goes you should have a double row bearing, To calm your nerves have the oil changed take the filter cut it open (remove the end caps and unfold) no steel no problems. Have someone run diagnostics for the cam deviation, Under 5+/- your OK. Under 3 +/- your good 2 +/-or less smile.

By the way nice looking car and that my first choice if I buy another one.

thanks love the color too! i get a lot of thumbs up from people walking by when the right light hits it

as for the IMS i just replaced it and have a direct oil feed shooting fresh oil into the open bearing so i am sleeping like a baby at night.