Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 12:48 AM   #1

Coupe hard top

Hey guys,

Check out www.boxster- hardtop.co.uk. New shape hard top that's between the standard hardtop and the Zeintec. What do you think?

JIMMY H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:23 AM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Those have been available for several years, personally I don't think the triangular side window looks good at all. But I was never a fan of the Zeintop either. You might try boxa.net (the UK Boxster forum) for more information on it.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:27 AM   #3
2002 Boxster S

Garage
I like the outline, but the window shape doesn't harmonise with the rest of the car, to my eye.

Still, I just put a dent in my rear bumper backing into a truck in my blind spot, so the added visibility would be very nice.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:11 AM   #4

Cheers Guys,

Never seen them before to be honest but then again never really looked for them. I e-mailed the company over in England and the e-mail came back undelivered, strange enough I thought
Old 03-10-2014, 06:35 AM   #5

have a look at dmoris in france.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:27 AM   #6

Yeah I was looking at them just there they look great. Am sure they are a wild price though, especially to deliver them to Ireland.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:28 AM   #7

Hard tops/paint damage.

Hello,

New to this site and also to Boxster ownership. Not new to Porsche, though: sold a 1988 911 Supersport a few years ago after 10 years of ownership. Now back again with a less precious, but possibly more useable car.

Anyway: wish to buy a Porsche roof for my 986 and many that I see have paint damage to the front corners. Anyone know a bit more about this? Particularly keen to know the such cause and cure: ie can corrosion be eradicated prior to refinishing the roof or is the damage structural: roofs weakened by corrosion in this way best avoided? Thanks.
NoIDA3C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:07 PM   #8
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
The tops can get damaged from being stored improperly (ei - not on a rack but laid on the ground). Mine has come scratches from a ladder the previous owner had leaned up against it. People have taken them apart and had them repainted, I think it normally runs about $5-600.

The seals can be pricey to replace, but I wouldn't worry about corrosion, as the hardtop is made of aluminum. The tops are not structural and add no rigidity or safety to the car.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:28 AM   #9

Thanks for that.

Appreciate the aluminium construction but this can corrode and the lifting paintwork on the corners is evidence of that. My concern is that if this damage is structural - that the aluminium skin is perforated - the repair would be difficult without stripping the roof and perhaps TIG-ing a patch in. If it is not that bad, then removing every bit of the corrosion before refinishing could be an answer.

However, It would be good to know why this area (front corners) is particularly prone to damage. Wrong storeage certainly would not help.

What I seek to avoid is, having completed a decent repair and refinish, for the problem to re-occur in a few years time, due, possibly to some inherent weakness in the material, design or sealing of thePorsche OE roof.

Thanks.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:31 AM   #10
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
It's difficult to picture the damage your are describing without a picture, but I can see your concerns. I should also point out that the hardtops have some flex/play in them, and tend to 'settle' to the car they are attached too. It takes a little while for them to readjust to a new car, and you can speed this up and reduce creaks and squeaks by adjusting the bolts on the sides (inside and above the lock levers).

To do this loosen the bolts and have someone push forward and down as hard they can while you tighten the bolts again. You may need to do it every few hundred miles until it settles, I think it took mine a couple months, but I am know noise free unless I go over a large bump or uneven curb.

If the top was infact stored improperly, like resting on the lock levers and the front corners, I would be a little weary. But again it's difficult to comment without seeing it. Best of luck!
Old 03-11-2014, 09:07 AM   #11

Thanks.

Think the problem is commonplace on 10 year old roofs in the UK. UK Ebay has a number on offer at any one time and many of those will have the damage we are referring to.

Looks as though it may be more of a weather related matter rather than a structural one and if this is the case then the point of access that the elements are enjoying could be discovered and particular attention paid to eliminating it in the course of the refinishing exercise.

For example: does the paintwork tend to crack in these areas because of flexing?
Do the elements get past the weather seals in the corners?

I shall get a suitable s/h roof, with corner damage and give it a go.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:25 AM   #12
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I have never seen the type of damage/flexing you are referring too so I can't comment on whether it is normal or make a recommendation. However, normal settling/flexing should not cause paint to crack or chip. The seals generally do a very good job, it will be watertight in rain. But if you spray medium/high pressure water at or toward the seals during a car wash you can get some coming in near the lock pins, normally not a lot, and it rarely gets past the area already covered by the convertible top drains.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #13

Coupe hard top

Hi:

This is typical hardtop damage referred to:
Old 03-11-2014, 02:07 PM   #14

Coupe hard top

here is another one: both lifted from UK Ebay this evening:
Old 03-11-2014, 09:37 PM   #15
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I have never seen that before, and I would personally be wary. If nothing else, because if the seal isn't sitting properly or is damaged and leaks, that seal (PN: 986 563 025 01) is about $1k USD to buy new, and good luck finding one used.

You might check out boxa.net, the UK Boxster forum, they might be more familiar with this issue as it seems to be unique to the UK, which is odd to say the least.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:19 PM   #16

Wow that looks nasty. I just picked up a top that's 16 years old and it looks like new.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:05 PM   #17

back to the original topic ...

New Porsche Boxster Hardtop ~Coupe Look~ | eBay
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
Just my humble opinion but that top is ugly. The Zeintop is sharp looking and the factory top is nice. Maybe this top is better in person but to me it looks very aftermarket.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Old 03-25-2014, 02:41 PM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
Just my humble opinion but that top is ugly. The Zeintop is sharp looking and the factory top is nice. Maybe this top is better in person but to me it looks very aftermarket.
Agree. The window in the hard top is fugly; it just doesn't work from a design standpoint.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #20

I imagine to keep costs reasonable certain design elements needed to be compromised. The more I look at the rear window more fugly it gets. I think your just better off finding a good used factory top. At least you know you can some decent money when you resale it.

89 944 S2
78 911SC