Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #1

New Owner Question

Hello , About a month ago I bought a 03 Seal Gray Base . This car is most fun I have had in years - with my clothes on . What a blast . This is a everyday driver for me . Could not be happier .

The couple who had the car did not have any children and I think this was their baby . This car looks like it just came off the showroom floor - it is perfect . The car was advertised with 33,000 miles , and a new engine with only 1500 miles , and still under warranty until 5/14 . Porsche put a New engine 2.7 in the car 5/12 . ( records show 986-100-923-gx ) - Would this new engine still have a chance for bearing failure ? I asked the Porsche Dealership that put the engine in , and they said that this engine has a bearing fix ? I recently had the oil changed at an independent , he said that all 986 engines have the same bearing set up . I know everyone says hey just drive , don't worry about , but always in the back of your mind you think about .

I have seen all the post about drive like you stole it , and I do .

Thanks All , Nice to be part of your forum

freddyet

freddyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
There are single row and double row bearings. Being an '03, your original engine should have had the single row, which is more susceptible to failure.
Then again, I'm no expert and I don't want to scare you
Did they say that this new engine has had the bearing fix, or just that it is available?

You should try posting your question in the General Discussions section. You'll get more informative responses there

Last edited by particlewave; 12-07-2013 at 11:39 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:10 AM   #3

Garage
I'm not an expert either. But I've read most all of the posts on at least 3 sites over the last 5 years. These are the things I've picked up on from those who own 100K+ cars. If you can't sleep at night over this then change the bearing out with a upgrade kit.

(Rule 1) Drive the car regularly and often
(Rule 2) Change the oil, For most 15000 miles is 2 years or more. The consensus is letting used stagnant oil in the engine cause acids to build. This will erode bearing surfaces.
(Rule 3) If storing change oil going into and out of storage. So what Waste $80 dollars of oil. New Engine Going price $14,500 or Online $5,000 to $8,500
(Rule 4) Cut down inspect your filters
(Rule 5) Change the clutch Change the bearing.
(Rule 6) Drive the car regularly and often.

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you got a nice car, LAST AND MOST IMPORTANT DRIVE AND ENJOY
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #4

Thank you guys ! I will get some pics up soon . Everything happens for a reason , I plan to drive and enjoy / life's to short to worry about stuff !

Thanks
freddyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
flybird

Garage
Sweet, congrads on your new adventure. Just wait until you can put your top down when it warms up. Funny I remember when I had a MG-B, real hunk of junk. Anyway whenever you put the top down it was a job. Now I press a button and in no time the top is down and I have a whole car! Have fun
flybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
flybird

Garage
oops. meant to say different car
flybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #7

You need to find out the year your engine was manufactured. If before 2006, then it has either a single or dual row bearing. Single row bearings are most likely to fail. Some dual row one do too.

thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote