Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 01:11 AM   #1
Boxster Babe

Smile Newer Model or Lower Mileage?

Hi, I am on the market for a used silver Porsche Boxster. I am debating between a 1997 model with 63k miles and a 2002 model with 96k miles. They are both around the $8k range. What is more important when buying a Boxster... a newer year or less miles on the odometer? Also, how important is it to see in person? I test drove the 1997 one that is out in LA, but the 2002 one I won on eBay and it's located in AZ. I would have to fly out there and drive it back to LA if I go with that one. Thanks in advance for your advice! :-)

boxster_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:16 AM   #2

Garage
I looked at the post line and the first thing through my mind was your going for the pool boy!.

Sorry off color I would not buy anything I had not seen in person. The second best alternative is find a member in that area for advice on a Indy to have them do a PPI

Both cars appear to have been regularly used. I think most people look at a low mileage car as a must in some makes and models. You should look at other opinions on the board but most don't recommend low mileage garage Queens Boxster. There could be more hidden engine problems on a very low mileage car that has not seen frequent oils changes and other service because service intervals weren't reached.

Request service records!
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 10-22-2013 at 06:26 AM. Reason: additional thoughts
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:37 AM   #3

Garage
When buying any Porsche the most important thing is the condition of the car. Determining this requires a PPI pre purchase inspection by a qualified mechanic. In this case the mechanic should have Boxster knowledge as it is different from earlier aircooled Porsches. Given the $8,000 price you can't expect perfection but if you are on a tight budget you don't want to own something you can't depend on & maintain.
Read as much as you can on the forum to gain knowledge.

I would much rather have the 2002 for the better interior & bigger engine.

Last edited by BYprodriver; 10-22-2013 at 09:39 AM. Reason: more info
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster_babe View Post
Also, how important is it to see in person? ?
In my book, on a scale of 1-10, I'd say a 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster_babe View Post
...but the 2002 one I won on eBay and it's located in AZ. I would have to fly out there and drive it back to LA if I go with that one.?
Am I correct in reading that you "won", (i.e had the highest bid) on an eBay auction/sale and you are now determining if you will honor that binding bid?

Just wonderin'.................

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Don't forget about the IMS