Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #1

Garage
Considering a '98 Boxster

I've been considering a '98 Boxster. It's absolutely immaculate with 59K miles on it, silver with reddish leather interior. BUT the owner has had it for 2 years and has spent $7K on it. It needs front brakes and there is a clattering sound in the rear end every time I hit a bump. Given the things she's fixed, the car might be a manifestation of the anti-christ. It has a new aftermarket top and new aftermarket drivers seat which had to be replaced when a telephone repair truck dropped something burning through the roof and through the seat, but didn't actually catch the car on fire. Much. She had to replace the fuel pump twice -- apparently the seals failed after she used premium gas mixed with ethanol. She had to replace the soft top release mechanism. She didn't mention anything else of note. She's used one mechanic. He estimated $1100 to replace the rotors and pads on the front brakes (is that normal -- holy mackeral that's expensive), and that's with him charging $75/hour.

I know very little about these cars right now, but I do a lot of my own work, including rebuilding brake systems.

Should I consider this car, or is it a money pit? A gorgeous money pit, perhaps. Any feedback would be appreciated.

onkauai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
Track rat

Garage
Have a thorough PPI done at a local Porsche shop and then decide. Pads and rotors on all 4 corners can be done in 3 hours and $600 or less in parts.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #3

I have '98 with 209,000 KM (130k miles). She needs about $1,500 in annual maintenance to keep running in top condition. The brakes and rotors should changed together to avoid uneven wear and squealing. I have found that the clatter in the rear is related to the rear stabilizer arms. Found parts online for about $100 per side. Should be able to swap them out yourself. If you take care of these cars, they last forever.
GimpyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #4

I have a 98 with 105k on it and in order to afford it I shop all over the internet to look for bargains. If you don't turn over every rock, they will pick your wallet clean . Be smart! Shop right !
Goodbiketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Have a thorough PPI done at a local Porsche shop and then decide. Pads and rotors on all 4 corners can be done in 3 hours and $600 or less in parts.
I did as you suggested and got a PPI then bought the car for $7600. It's got 59K miles on it and is very clean but it needs a few things, like rear stabilizers, front brakes, a passenger window lift motor. That's about it. It's well-kept but I know I'll have to keep on top of it. Anyway, thanks for the advice! This is my second porsche -- my last one was a '76 911S.

onkauai is offline   Reply With Quote