Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #1

Help me purchase a Boxster

I am thinking about finally picking up a Boxster (been wanting one for a long time). I would love to pick the brains of experience Boxster owners around here. Please help a newbie.

I want to spend less than 30k and definitely want a 987, preferably 2007 or later.

Looking at local listings, I see following choices;
-2006 S, 50k miles, ~$30k
-2008 Base, 26k miles, ~$33k (seems really steep, probably has some room for haggle)
-2005 S, 35k miles, $28k

What would you do? Is buying an S really important with 987's since they have about as much HP as 986 S? What about tiptronic? Should I stay away from that (though my wife would prefer that option)?

Thanks for any help.

gameboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #2

Hi there,

I am a Canadian writer and congratulation of making the decision on a Boxster. I own a 2003 Boxster for the past 3 years and it has been a blast. Not sure if the 987 has the same IMS issue but it is something that you need to be aware of. It happened just last night, I tried to take the car out for a spin and heard a very bad noise in the engine compartment. I parked it right away and oil were coming out fast. I had it tolled to my mechanic this morning and it is the IMS failure. We had done all sort of precaution work each year (ie cutting open the oil filter at each oil change to ensure that there is no metal fragments and my mechanic was going to take the oil pan out next year to check for metal and plastic fragment) but still did not detect it

I know Porsche has come up with a couple of solution/precaution maintenance work for the potential IMS problem (In Canada, it is a $2,500 to $3,500 solution/precaution) definitely look into it before making the decision.

I bought my Boxster 3 years ago with 21,000 KM (or 14,000 miles) on it. Even with oil change at the beginning of every season, still the IMS had failed. From what I have read at various Porsche magazine and speaking to various Porsche owner and mechanics in the past, the repair bill is somewhere between $3K to 10K Canadian (maybe more if you need to replace the engine) Not sure what it would be in US$ and repair prices

This is something you should look into before buying. Sorry for being a stick in the mud.

Good luck, when you find the right one, it is a ton of fun
audispeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #3

Wait to purchase the car. Get an 09 S PDK and it will not have an IMS and the wife won't threaten to divorce yo over repair costs.

Just my 2 cents worth...
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #4

as RandallNeighbour had mentioned, it is worth the wait. By the way, I had only 37,000KM (or about 26,000 miles) on the car when the IMS happened last week

audispeed3 is offline   Reply With Quote