Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
imanoob

Garage
Questions from a new Porsche 986 owner

Hey everyone,

I just bought my dream car....Porsche 986.
It's a 2008 with 34k miles on it. Was shipped from Maryland and arrived here in Vegas 2days ago. Can't wait to drive it after registering it at the DMV tomorrow.

Looking through the forum I was worried when I saw so many discussions about the IMS problem. I quickly researched all I could on it wondering if I had made a mistake. Some sites say the IMS issue was resolved in 2009. I've read that most issues with the M96 engine occurred from 1997-2004. Since mine is a 2008 how much do I have to worry?
Should I bother with an IMS retrofit? I don't know much of the history of the car in terms of regular oil changes and how it was driven. What I do know is the car was originally purchased in 2/09 from New Jersey. It was then sold in 2/13 with 24k miles on it. So 10k miles were put on in 6 months and then sold to me because the owner passed away. He had a minor accident in May when he forgot to put the hand brake on and it rolled back into a fence. He changed the back with a GT3 style rear bumper and GT wing.Still not sure if I want to keep it or put the original spoiler back on. I was given the original spoiler and parts with the car.

So, long post, but want to know about what to do with the IMS issue? Should I do any kind of service like the recommended 36k major service from the dealer? Should I just do an oil change myself? Aesthetic wise, should I keep the GT wing? The look is growing on me but I do like the classic Porsche look. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated. Will post pics soon.
:dance:

pparkc2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #2

Boxsters 2005 to 2012 are 987's. 2013 and later are 981's. 1998 to 2004 are 986's.

Lots of opinions on what to do about the IMS. Read Mike Focke's pages for a good overview.
If you feel that you have to do something about the IMS, the only option I'm aware of for your 2008 without an engine teardown is the Direct Oil Feed approach from TuneRS Motorsports.

The GT3 wing is a matter of personal taste. It does differentiate your Boxster from other Boxsters.

Good luck with your new Box. Enjoy it in good health!

BTW, on this site, if there are no photos, it doesn't exist!

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
imanoob

Garage
Thanks Maurice for the feedback.
Didn't know the 986 ended in 2004 and were 987's till 2012. I'm a total noob.
Thanks for the info on IMS.
And I will try to post pics soon.

pparkc2020 is offline   Reply With Quote