Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 04:26 AM   #1

Just picked up a 97'!

Just picked up a 97' boxster, red with the hardtop. Has 80k on it, runs great, mint condition.

however after being on here the IMS issue is scaring the crap out of me. Did I make a wrong purchase?

Or since it has 80k and made it so far, it might be a "good" car?

thanks

haste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:33 AM   #2
still plays with cars...

Garage
The potential of IMS trouble bothered me a lot as well.
I did a lot of pre-purchase reading on the issue, and had my Box scheduled for IMS replacement before I picked it up.
Not sorry I spent the $$ to have it done.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #3

Garage
Early cars apparently have the double row IMS. Whilst not bullet proof, they are more reliable than the later single row cars. The key is to change the oil regularly and don't be afraid to use it as intended!
Its a Porsche sports car, crack on my friend....
Old 04-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #4

I see I see, however I dont have the extra 5-10k sitting around after purchasing this vehicle for a little while 0_0. luckily almost every part for these cars is VERY cheap on ebay off of wrecked cars.

But seriously the IMS bearing fix kit is 600 dollars? Could grab a e30 325is for that.

I will drive the car hard, and it is running like new.

Will post pics soon but the red boxster with a hard top is awesome! Drives like a dream. Even if I recieved 200k to grab a lambo, I think I would just drive this boxster.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #5

Haste, congrats on your purchase. As has been pointed out, the failure rate for the IMS bearing on the early double-row bearings such as yours are much lower - stats obtained from Porsche in the course of the class-action suit suggest significantly less than 1%, versus 8 - 10% for the later single row bearing. Yes, change the oil frequently (every 5000 miles), install a magnetic drain plug and inspect it and the oil filter (after cutting it in half) for metal particles after each oil change. Otherwise, just drive it and enjoy it and don't think about the IMS bearing until you need to do a clutch change.

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #6

thanks for the info everyone!

Seems like Im in the safe zone!

What is the next maintenance that needs to be done on the car? It has 81k on it now(drove 400 miles on it in 5 days lol).

no maintenance reports, but im telling you guys, it runs brand new.

Has new tires, brakes seem to brake great(little squeaky), clutch doesnt seem to be slipping.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #7

when did the single row IMS bearings begin?
wkb28791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #8

Garage
2000 appears to be the beginning of the single row, with 2005 or 2006 with the start of a heavier duty single row. There is a good description at LN Engineering: IMS Failures Explained | IMS Retrofit
TripleTrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #9

Hey Haste,

The car,at 80,000 miles,in my opinion has had plenty of opportunity to create a problem and get repaired.Just set aside some dollars for future repair/maintenance like on any premium car.

You seem good to go to me! go go go
litespeedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #10

Go to Pedro's Garage...they no have any oiling system to oil the back of the bearing.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote