Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions
Register Garage FAQ Community Calendar

Post Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
2006 987
 
986_inquiry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: st. louis
Posts: 443
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Head View Post
Hello, I just purchased a 1998 arena red Porsche Boxster with the 2.5 engine and 5 speed transmission. I couldn't pass it up. It has 28k miles, has always been garaged and basically in mint condition. The car is beautiful but the last thing I need is a money pit! I owned a Porsche 944 years ago so I understand a little about their ownership. However, after doing a little research about the early Boxsters I'm questioning my purchase!!! Are these cars the ticking time bomb that seems everyone is saying or has their problems been over hyped due to forums (negative always gets more exposure)??? Please be honest with me. DID I MAKE A HUGE MISTAKE BUYING A 1998 BOXSTER??
this thread is nearly two months old and you haven't responded to any of the suggestions, but if I bought a 1998 with 28k miles on it first thing I would do is take it to the closest Porsche dealer or Porsche mechanic and have it thoroughly checked out. I did that with my 06, cost about $350.

My main concern is the low miles, could be it sat for years, in which case that IMS may have been dry for years and that can cause problems. I'd have it replaced just in cast by the LN one, costs $1,500 for the part and probably several hundred for the install. Then you'll be safe with no worries. If that sounds high at least have the IMS guardian installed, that's only a few hundred, but that will only warn you when you need to pay $1,500+ for the part plus installation.

and only take it to porsche dealers or ask the forum for a local porsche mechanic. NEVER TAKE IT TO A REGULAR MECHANIC. No matter what they claim, "car is a car", etc, a few hundred dollars saved is not worth losing a $8,000+ engine

otherwise congrats on your new purchase
__________________
2006 987 2.7 manual silver/black, PASM, OEM drilled rotors, heated seats
1998 986 2.5 manual black/tan with bad engine = SOLD
986_inquiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 177
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 986_inquiry View Post
this thread is nearly two months old and you haven't responded to any of the suggestions, but if I bought a 1998 with 28k miles on it first thing I would do is take it to the closest Porsche dealer or Porsche mechanic and have it thoroughly checked out. I did that with my 06, cost about $350.

My main concern is the low miles, could be it sat for years, in which case that IMS may have been dry for years and that can cause problems. I'd have it replaced just in cast by the LN one, costs $1,500 for the part and probably several hundred for the install. Then you'll be safe with no worries. If that sounds high at least have the IMS guardian installed, that's only a few hundred, but that will only warn you when you need to pay $1,500+ for the part plus installation.

and only take it to porsche dealers or ask the forum for a local porsche mechanic. NEVER TAKE IT TO A REGULAR MECHANIC. No matter what they claim, "car is a car", etc, a few hundred dollars saved is not worth losing a $8,000+ engine

otherwise congrats on your new purchase
I haven't responded because I quickly relized this portion of the site doesn't receive much traffic so I posted similar questions in the "General Discussions".

I'm not overly worried about the seals in the car. It was never put in storage, just not driven often (1800 mile per year). My third vehicle (now my box, formerly a Solstice) never gets more than 2700-3500 miles on it per year and I drive them year round (when no chance for precip). It has alway been stored in a heated garage with a cover over it.

As for the IMS, I'm not going to give it much thought until I need the clutch replaced. Porsche released the failure rates of the double bearing motors to be less than 1%. With those kind of odds, I figure just about any engine has that amount of chance to blow lol.

Thanks for the congrats, I'm looking forward to learning all I can about the Boxster!
Meat Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Post Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page