Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 05:24 AM   #1

Feel like a bit of a fake as I don't have a boxster yet but I will soon.
Current car is a 130i with quite a few mods so normally aspirated power is more than appreciated ill be looking at n S around 03 plate as I fancy a weekend car for open top fun as the kids are getting older
So I'll be looking and l and learning I come from a motorvehicle background so I know my way around various cars but not so much Porsche

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

littlejohno43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #2

Boxster are truely great cars!
The only main thing you Really Really Really need to be aware of is the potential and almost inevitable IMS failure issues.

Dont make a move until you fully understand this and make sure the car you buy already had this done or be prepared to get it done immediately after purchase.

Several people lost their entire investment just months after purchase even on very low Km cars.

When the Intermediate Shaft Bearing decinigrates, motor's toast, car is good for the garbage - money lost! not worth replacing the engine in most cases,
engines cost as much as just buying another boxster- only problem with that is - it can happen again.

So get the service history - proof of regular oil changes a must,
then get it in to do the IMS retrofit.
(approx $1,200 and best to do at time of clutch replacement to save labour costs)

After that - you can sleep at night and you "WILL" absolutly love the car!

Dont say you weren't warned about IMS Issues!

Good luck- and welcome to the community!
xtre986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:49 AM   #3

Garage
To be fair, warning about IMS is the same as warning about cambelts snapping when buying an Alfa. Don't let the paranoia set in just yet.
Its an engine and can be fixed (sure it could be expensive, but it is a Porsche).
I ride a Ducati daily and they have problems too but careful home maintenance will tell you whats going on in your car and good history of regular maintenance is a good start.
They are a great drivers car and soooo much better than our SLK that was traded against it.

This site is the best one I have used for straight talking advice, great DIY links and good banter - Recomended pal.

Good luck and welcome aboard.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:11 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies I'll be changing the IMS and rear main seal as a precaution when buying unless its been done as my time is free and I have a garage to use

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

littlejohno43 is offline   Reply With Quote