Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
MTO

New Boxster Owner

Just drove home 2000 Boxster Base with 62k miles. I think i got a good deal. Aside from reading comparisons to other cars (MR2, Z3, TT, etc) - I don't know too much technical data about the car. It didn't come with a manual - i'm going to buy one. Doing lots of reading on the internet now.

Two questions off the top - after a moderate test drive, no warning lights and no leaks. Drove home nearly a hundred miles. 30 minutes later, i noticed fluid (clear amber fluid (like clean oil)) under/near the drivers rear tire and a small spot of dirty looking oil under the engine? any thoughts? Also, i made a big mistake and put "middle grade" gas in it. 5 miles later the engine check light came on - i know, I'm an idiot - premium fuel from now on. Will the light reset itself or does the dealer need to reset? Any other words of wisdom are appreciated. I'm looking forward to a long relationship - lots of TLC.

MTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:30 PM   #2

about the fluids: get them checked. the clear amber fluid may be brake fluid. check the reservoir and see if the colors match up. the dirty oil color may actually be oil, possibly an RMS leak or the oil filler tube is cracked. maybe the people who changed the oil last time did not put the crush ring on or the oil filter canister is not on correctly.

as far as the mid-grade gas goes i don't think a few miles of it would cause the light to come on. it could be possible that it was only filled with regular instead of premium while it sat on the lot and now it's complaining. if it's not running badly i wouldn't worry too much about it but you might want to get the CEL code checked anyway - most auto parts stores are more than happy to get the code from the computer for you. you can then search on the internet for what it means. after getting the code you can disconnect the battery and it may reset itself (make sure you have the radio code - i am guessing that since there was no manual, there is no radio code). otherwise look into getting a durametric or something that can clear the codes for you. no need to pay $$$ to a dealer unless you just want to.

is it a manual or tip?

Last edited by tonycarreon; 04-04-2011 at 02:32 PM.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:51 PM   #3
MTO

Thanks for the info - i've got a friend of a friend who is a Porsche certified mechanic. He has agreed to give it a once over for a few $$ and some beers. I'm hoping he can check and reset the engine light. All fluid levels appear fine - i'm gonna change the oil while i'm there to establish a baseline. I'm new to the mid engine car so I'm not sure how to interpret the ride - but it's running awesome - that has to be a good thing.

MTO is offline   Reply With Quote