Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 09:28 PM   #1

Greetings! Another newbie about to take the plunge!

Hi guys and gals!

I hope this is the right place to post this on here, if not apologies in advance, but I'm about to take the Boxster plunge. I've dreamed of owning a Porsche since I as learning to fly in high school and my flight instructor would let me take my girlfriend (now wife) out in his 911SC. I have no practical aspirations for this car, just pure, unadulterated fun with the top down.

So anyway, I've found a local car, a 2001 S with less than 25k on it. I've read all the reviews on the sites like Cars.com and KBB, but to be honest they all read like fluff in the Sunday paper. I know the car will be fun and quick, I know it will have phenomenal handling and braking, and I know people will like to look at it. So a friend of a friend suggested signing up here to get a little input. Any particular bugs I should look for in this car, and what kind of price would be reasonable for this car? It's a 6 speed in the kind of condition you would expect for a little over 20k.

Thanks in advance for any input, suggestions, or tips!

Nick

aeroplanedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:52 PM   #2

Hi Nick,
You'll enjoy it, no matter the year! $20K is a little steep for a 2001 S, I'd offer $15K. You should pull a CARFAX on it and ask if they have all service records. Take to a dealer or shop and do a pre-inspection, but only from a Porsche mechanic. These cars are expensive to maintain, so it's always good to make sure you aren't buying someone else's trouble.

Here’s some more helpful information:
http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/buyingorsellinga1997-2004boxster

03' 986 Midnight Blue Metallic
Light Weight Flywheel | Tinted Windows and Windscreen
Painted Bumperettes | 550 Spyder Grille Kit

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9sTq_sN1KDw/Si...2009%20055.jpg
crios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:50 AM   #3

I agree with crios with exception of cost. I don't think 20k is bad for the car with that low of mileage, but also do some research to determine options and have the car checked out.

I bought mine a year and a half ago prior to all this market crash for 27k, but the car was originally from california, adult owned, the right color combo, optioned highly, never driven in foul weather, and had 13k miles. Just couldn't resist.

Plan on keeping mine for a long time. It's just too much fun. You will enjoy, but make sure you get the PPI done. And understand this is not a honda and just because you may pick one up cheap, insuring and maintenance on them is just like owning a new one.

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:29 AM   #4

Thanks for the input guys. Cesar, I should have ben a little more clear, the milage is just over 20k, not the price. The asking price is actually a little under $20k. I definitely want a PPI, but can anyone recommend a good place to do this in teh Charlotte, NC area? I searched the thread dealing with mechanics in the General section, but all I saw for Charlotte was a body shop and Hendrick Porsche. Any other suggestions from anyone?

Thanks again guys for the suggestions!
Old 06-09-2009, 01:41 PM   #5

Under $20K is a good price. Contact your local PCA rep for a good mechanic near by:
http://www.carolinas-pca.com/

Good luck and hope to welcome you to the fam soon!!

03' 986 Midnight Blue Metallic
Light Weight Flywheel | Tinted Windows and Windscreen
Painted Bumperettes | 550 Spyder Grille Kit

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9sTq_sN1KDw/Si...2009%20055.jpg
crios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:09 PM   #6

OK guys, just got home from a closer look and drive of the car. Here are the details;

2001 'S', 21k miles.
Blue with graphite top and graphite leather with Porsche crest headrests
Sport package
18" wheels
Heated seats
CD changer
5k on new tires
full service records with 15,000 mile service done at 4,000 miles ago by the dealer
great paint, no road rash on the nose
a couple of coffee stains on the carpet
some slight discoloration on the bottom of the passenger seat.

The seller has no problem with me having a PPI at the Porshce dealer.

Any new opinions?

Old 06-09-2009, 03:58 PM   #7

I bought an 01S just under 3 years ago and paid a good bit more than you're looking at (but it was, of course, a newer car at that point. It's also become a buyer's market!). That being said, I haven't been disappointed in the least---I say go for it (assuming the PPI reveals no significant problems). The car's been a blast to own and drive.

And the good news: I got a 3 year loan (at 2.9%)---come July, it's paid off! Yipee!!
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #8

Nothing wrong with Hendrick. StuttgartHaus in Mooresville was recommended to me for older cars. Not sure about Boxster. Seems like Mooresville has several, but cannot remember names.

Dealers have expertise. Only time I'd worry would be when they offer a PPI for a car w/o CPO warranty.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:35 PM   #9

For the mileage being that low, the asking price is very fair and I would consider it a good buy as long as the PPI checks out.

I hope you get it and welcome to the club. I bought my 2001 S about a year and half ago and I have loved every minute. If you really want to enjoy the car and appreciate what it is capable of doing, take it to your next local PCA Driver's Education (DE) event, but be careful because DE's are addictive.

Don't ask me how I know
Old 06-09-2009, 09:21 PM   #10

Once again guys, thanks for the input and advice. I'm looking forward to getting into a Boxster, whether it's this one or another in the next week or two and becoming a part of the forum. I'm liking the sound of these DE days too...

So who's in the western NC/upstate SC area?

Old 06-10-2009, 08:35 PM   #11

Got the car scheduled for a PPI at Hendrick Porsche in Charlotte on Friday. Fingers crossed that it goes well!
Old 06-12-2009, 10:02 PM   #12

Well the word the mechanic at Hendrick used was "Immaculate" so the offer is in...
Old 06-17-2009, 12:50 AM   #13

So...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroplanedriver
Well the word the mechanic at Hendrick used was "Immaculate" so the offer is in...
did you buy it?
19" black 997 Turbo wheels
Litronics
Fully De-Ambered
BumperPlugged
Painted badges
CSE Exhaust Mod
De-Snorked
FVD Headers and cats on the way
Dension GW 500 on the way
Bumperettes on the way
GT_YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:02 PM   #14

It took a little haggling, then I had to wait a few days for the guy to get his title from the bank, but I bought the car today. Well worth the wait!

I'll put some pics up at the weekend, in the meantime I'll be savoring the Boxster experience. Looking forward to getting to know you folks!

Nick