Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2008, 12:28 PM   #1

Want to listen to iPod, but not through fm transmitter

I've a 2000 Boxster.... I don't like the results I get from my FM transmitter, so I'm looking at what I can do to listen to it through the stereo/replace the stereo.

I like the looks of the stock stereo, but there's no aux. input in the front, so can't simply plug in the ipod.

What are the options?

I'm considering a Pioneer Avic-F90BT but that may be overkill? plus I'm not all enthused about chopping up my console area... I don't use GPS often, but the Pioneer looks like a good unit.

Ideas? :chicken:

Claudster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:42 PM   #2

If you have the Becker CDR-220, you can get a cable that connects in place of where the CD changer plugs in. Since I listen to ipod instead of CDs, this was not an issue but a web search will yield some that have installed a switch that allows you to keep the changer if that's important. It comes with German criptic instructions and a cable that will will extend as far as the center arm rest storage. It will play your ipod and charge it at the same time. I've left my cable coming out from in front of the center console on the passenger side. When not in use, it tucks in between the passenger seat and the console. That and the rear speaker kit from Sunset Porsche in Portland were a great upgrade at a very reasonable price.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:47 PM   #3

if you have the CR or CDR-220, there is an AUX input you can add to play your ipod thru the sound system w/ a direct connect. Part cna be purchased directly thru Becker ~ $15. There are also some aftermarket options for the direct connect which will allow you to play and charge your ipod. I'll try a quick search as there's lots of info in the archives here.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:54 PM   #4

sorry, couldn't find a thread, but here's what I'm was talking about....

AUX-In iPod Charging Cable for CR/CDR-220

The one from Becker is just an Aux in that terminates into RCAs. You'd then have to run a 3.5mm to RCA adapter from your iPod to the Becker piece. However, it won't provide charging like the one pictured above.

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:34 PM   #5

i thought i saw somewhere else that this cable doesn't actually charge the ipod, and to make it do it, yo have to cut it, modify it somwhoe. there was a DIY on how to do it here...

i see the cord is like $40. but others claim they got it for like $20....

is the $20 cable the one where you have to then buy RCA to 3.5mm adaptor to make it work?
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:05 AM   #6

I probably am the one that posted that DIY regarding these cables. It is possible to splice the lines and get the cable above to play and charge your iPod. You can read more about all this on the renntech.org 986 DIY forum.

I also sell the already modified cables as a hobby at $45 + shipping. These cables have had their pins rearranged so that no wires were severed and spliced plus I ad a little black spray paint to get rid of the ugly white plug. I include detailed installation instructions that require about 10-15 minutes of your time to complete. If you live in the SF Bay Area I can try to coordinate a meeting to assist with installation, but it really is quite easy to do 2 on the old 1-10 scale.

-Jeremy

J w a e n ( at ) l m I ( dot ) n e t
RaisedOnPorsches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:36 PM   #7

hey jeremy
would your cable work on my 03 boxster to connect my iphone?
thanks!
rymsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:48 AM   #8

Ipod connection

I used cables from Discount Car Stereo (www.discountcarstereo.com). They have a numer of options to interface to your CR220 or CDR220 (search under Becker or Blaupunkt). They also show how to activate the AUX function in the head unit. I chose not to use the charging cable option and used the aux imput jack. I now have a very sanitary install with a aux imput jack mounted in a discrete location. Add a 3 foot coil 3.5mm cable from Best Buy and no cable laying all over.
flyfisch
flyfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:21 AM   #9

I know this is an old post, but just installed one of these in my 996TT, and it works just great.
http://www.iwirep.com/
It charges the iPod, but you sacrifice the CD changer. Not an issue IMHO, as you really can't compare a 6-CD changer with an iPod full of songs.

jbossolo is offline   Reply With Quote