Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > Latest Info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2004, 08:27 AM   #1
JT
Administrator and Founder

New Porsche 911 Coming to Europe in July

New Porsche 911 Coming to Europe in July

Associated Press

FRANKFURT, Germany - Luxury carmaker Porsche AG said Tuesday it plans to launch the much-anticipated new version of its iconic 911 sports car across Europe on July 17.

The new version, which won't come to the United States and Britain until early September, sports new design features such as a return to oval headlights and a more muscular back end. The headlights are reminiscent of the so-called 993 version of the Porsche 911 from the mid 1990s.

Porsche is launching its new 911 on the market in Carrera and Carrera S versions.

The Carrera model has a sticker price before tax starting at 64,700 euros, the equivalent of about $76,900 at current exchange rates, a bit more than its predecessor. The Carrera S starts at 73,300 euros, equivalent to around $87,200.

The company says the biggest technical advance is an active suspension system, which is standard on the Carrera S and an option on the Carrera. The system allows the driver to switch between 'sport' and 'normal' driving dynamics with the push of a button.

The 911 is a crucial car for Stuttgart-based Porsche, which builds only three model lines. The Cayenne sports utility vehicle, in the market for more than a year, has been driving earnings while sales of the lower-priced Boxster, which is in its eighth year, are falling off.

Porsche has sold nearly 600,000 911s in the car's 40-year history.

Old 05-15-2004, 05:22 AM   #2

Ya gonna get one then JT? Or, going for the Jaguar?

mjbliemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 02:03 PM   #3

the 2005 911 looks cool -- the base and s are both wide bodied. Porsche plans to release a turbo and 4-wheel drive version sometime around 2007 or 2008.

What about the new boxter? I thought a significant change was due out n 2005??
ehljags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 08:56 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Shortbus Send a message via MSN to Shortbus Send a message via Yahoo to Shortbus
Well I sat in both the 997 and 997S at the dealer last fri when they unveilled em. Some very nice touches to the inside, but overall i'm a sucker for the 996/986 interiors. The ext. of the 997 is dam right mind boggling though. It's beautiful. One thing I didn't understand is why the pedals (on both manual trans and tiptronic) are set so far off to the right? I mean I litterally felt like I wasn't sitting straight at ALL in the 997. I was actually turned towards the right/center of the hood. Is this normal for racing? Is that why 997 have that? I noticed my 98 boxster has it but it's so very slight I don't notice it. I just couldn't feel like I was sitting straight with the car in a 997. Am I completely out of some loop here?

Shortbus is offline   Reply With Quote