Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Regional Forum > GBBG -- Greater Boston Boxster Group

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2003, 08:34 AM   #1

Tempted by an 03' "S"

I have been tempted to move up to thr 03' "S" lately. Any one else experiencing this winter phenomenon?

The added HP, glass rear window, glove box etc.... had me seriously considering this until I visited the dealer. Offered $27,000.00 for my 01' SG/BK/BK. Original list was $49,727.00 17 months ago.

I am still debating on the merits of moving up and I'm looking for a good lease on an 03' "S". I'll have to move the 01' by some other means.

I have been quoted a lease for $769.00 mth for 39 mths @ 10000 miles per year with a selling price of $53900.00, 57% residual value and a money factor of .00250. Payment seems high so I'll keep looking.

K_Barton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 08:59 AM   #2
Regional Moderator

Boxster resale is really depressing, I'd never trade in my car on a new one at this point. What I would do, though, is trade it in on a similarly devalued used car, for example a 2000 911. I guess my first new Porsche will be my last new Porsche.

What I'm thinking--since I too really, really, like the '03 S, is that I should wait about 2 years, and buy an '03 when it has devalued. I'll bet the dealer will offer me, hmm, maybe $23K on my '01 2.7. That should ease the pain a bit.

It's just getting hard to financially justify a new Porsche these days if you already have one you need to trade in.
CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 04:19 AM   #3

Wink trade or upgrade

Always like to look and have thought long and hard about a Boxster S. But, then the rational side intrudes and you must admit the added horsepower and options are marginal given the car we already have. I really can't justify a new car purchase. My 99 is almost paid for and the dealers won't give you anything for it (mid twenties). I agree with Charlie, the best way to go is to trade the used Boxster for a used Boxster S. I have seen several used 2000 Boxster S with an asking price of mid 30's. Now that's a more realistic trade and the value is certainly there. Just looking for the right car.

William Harris is offline   Reply With Quote