Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Regional Forum > GBBG -- Greater Boston Boxster Group

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2002, 01:40 PM   #1

Talking Got a Pass Today

Got lucky today. As I was leaving my office on the way to Court this morning, I was stopped at a red light. While waiting for the light to change, a guy in a Monte Carlo (complete with the Dale Ernhart "3" decal, etc.) pulls up next to me in the right hand lane. The right hand lane has to merge left immediately after the light but this guy decides he is going to jump the light and pull over ahead of me. Must have been a little nutty, but decided I didn't want to let this NASCAR lead foot put down the Boxster, so I accelerated away from the green light - right into a traffic detail and a local cop. He pulls me over and proceeds to lecture me on reckless driving, $200 ticket, etc., but after he checks my license and registration he lets me go. No ticket, no warning, just a lecture. Next time I'll just let them go. Anyway, for those of you who have not put your cars away, I'm in the winter mode, hard top and 16" wheels with snow tires mounted.

William Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 05:28 PM   #2

William,

Sounds like the "gods" were with you!!! I too have had a similar experience, and fortunately, also got off.

How is your car in winter driving? Living in florida, I do not have to worry about snow. However, I have a couple of friends up north whom are afraid of getting their Porshce's wet. I would assume the weight balance is quite good in snow......
ehljags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 09:13 AM   #3

Thumbs up

ehljags: Winter driving is certainly an acquired talent for me. As a native of the Gulf Coast (New Orleans and Mobile) the move the "The Hub" was quite a shock! However, in my Porsche experience the winter is just too long to put the car away. My first full time Porsche was a 1996 C4S. In the winter I would remove the 18" wheels and run 16" wheels with Pirelli Winter 210s. You should have seen the look on drivers as I would motor pass in blizzard conditions. The all wheel drive was fabulous. When the Boxster came out, I traded the C4S for a 1997 Boxster. Later went back to a Carrera Cab and then the 1999 Boxster. With the smaller wheels and winter tires, the Boxster handles beautifully in the snow. My 1999 has 43,000 miles and has never had an issue with any sort of maintenance, etc. except for the air bag warning lamp and a bad radio. However, I would move back South any day. Best Regards to Sunny Florida.
William Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 02:03 PM   #4

William-
thanks for the update on winter driving. the key must be the 16 inchers. I would imagine the C4S did get a few lookers.

I am glad to hear some guys do not garage-queen their Porsche's during the less then perfect weather (sun, no water of any type, warm, etc......).

My only concern would be salt. I lived up north many years, used to drive BMWs, and just did a lot of washing (at least 2-3 times/week, or as needed). Also, I am sure you keep plenty of wax on her. I wonder how Zainos work with salt??

ehljags is offline   Reply With Quote