Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Regional Forum > GBBG -- Greater Boston Boxster Group

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2002, 07:23 AM   #1
Regional Moderator

Post White Mts Ride: The Details

Hi GBBG folks,

We're delighted to have a great response to this ride. It was interesting that practically no one could have made it last weekend, but this coming weekend was universally good. So far I have confirmed Rey & Juliette, John & Janet, Colin & Loosey, Brian, Rob & Collin (total of 6 cars including myself & Sara). Chris, Ed, as well as anyone else expressing interest, please respond to this thread or email me if you can make it. I'm going to make our lunch reservations shortly.

Since many of you are coming from NH, and we're pretty spread out from the South, let's all meet at the Rest Stop/State Liquor Store near Manchester, NH at 10:00 am. I believe it is the first exit after the tolls on 93. We'll park well clear of the buildings to avoid the traffic and be easier to spot for those joining us.

The route is currently as follows: When we leave the rest area we will be heading North on 93 past Concord and the Lakes Region. We'll exit 93 on 112 West, heading North to 116, connecting to Rt 3 East via Rt 18. Route 3 will join 302 East, and the Hotel Mount Washington is on 302. Following lunch, we will continue East on 302 to Bear Notch Road (South). After connecting with the Kancamagus Highway (112) and heading West, we will stop for a breather and quick hike at Sabbaday Falls. From there we will probably continue West on 112 until hitting 93 for the easy way home. Any suggestions for refinements of this route would be most welcome, but I think it is already a great trip! I expect we'll all be home in the very early evening, so this is not too strenuous a ride.

Regarding communication, we use FRS (typically Motorola "TalkAbout") radios tuned to channel 8, code 6 (as in nine-86). Usually we bring a couple of extra radios in case you need one. If you need to contact me for any reason, my cell phone number is 617-974-5704.

Can't wait to see everybody this Saturday. Get those radios and cameras charged and your tanks filled!

-Charlie

Last edited by CharlesGordon; 07-22-2002 at 11:13 AM.
CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 07:24 AM   #2
Regional Moderator

I forgot to clarify: The ride is this Saturday, 7/27, at 10:00 am!
Old 07-22-2002, 11:38 AM   #3
Forum Contributor

White Mtn Tour Map

I took the liberty of mapping out Charlie's proposed White Mtn Tour. It's attached as a .ZIP of a .PDF file which I hope can be pulled down by everyone and viewed.

-rob
RobFigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 11:47 AM   #4
Regional Moderator

Great job, Rob

I didn't realize it was an exact copy of the route you sent me last week, but in reverse! So it must be a good one--and our lunch/hiking/driving plans fit very nicely.

-Charlie
Old 07-22-2002, 11:55 AM   #5
Forum Contributor

yup...

When I ride this route on my bike, it's going the other way around. That's why I called this one 4NaaP_backwards! For those of you who haven't figured out what 4NaaP means:

"Four Notches and a Pass" becasue we climb Kinsman, Franconia, Crawford and Bear notches plus the Kanc Pass.

This will be my first time climbing these roads with my right foot on a gas pedal instead of a bicycle pedal!

-rob
RobFigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 04:32 AM   #6
Forum Member

Turns out I can make the ride!! Please add 2 reservations for lunch for me.

-Jonathan '01 midnight blue
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 05:05 AM   #7
Forum Contributor

So we're not climbing the Mount Washington auto road? And I so wanted one of those bumper stickers
colinblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 08:35 AM   #8
Regional Moderator

Smile Ride update

Looks like the weather will be OK (cloudy, but rain unlikely), and we now have 9 cars signed up to go! (now includes Darice and Bob Wareham--remember them from the Newport Mansion and Winery tour last fall?)

I'm looking forward to it!

-Charlie
Old 07-26-2002, 01:52 PM   #9

Unhappy White Mountain Rides

Gee, I wish I could've joined you folks on this ride.. but I have to go to Parent's weekend at my son's school in Hanover NH. Well at least I am heading out that way tomorrow. May be we'll run into one another... Have fun and enjoy the ride. Hope to join you up next time!

Tom K.

tomatjs is offline   Reply With Quote