Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2017, 08:24 PM   #1

Garage
Spring Spacers?

I recently installed a set of Koni FSD shocks/struts as well as H&R Sport springs. Overall the ride is what I was looking for - firmer, more aggressive, with good dampening - but the drop was more than I was hoping for. To save the pocket book, does anyone have a suggestion on 1/4" - 1/2" spring spacers that will allow me to raise the car up a little? The total drop for the H&R sport springs was about 1.2" and I'd like to bring it back up a bit. Thanks. Including a photo after the install.

2006 987 S - daily Black/Black (sold)
ToddRu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:42 AM   #2
Ben-Auto-Design

Do you still have the stock shock mounts?
Porsche has different thickness of spring mounts, 3 and 6mm for sure, but maybe more?
Ben-Auto-Design : Performance parts for 9X6 / 9X7
1982 928 S Euro
Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:51 PM   #3

That looks pretty good! Maybe check jegs or summit and see what they have for spring spacers, buy I don't know if anyone is going to have a part number, you might have to be the pioneer.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:58 PM   #4
still plays with cars...

Garage
Don't change anything.
It's stanced just right.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:11 PM   #5

Yeah, it looks great, if you're not hitting things with the bottom of the car and the tires aren't rubbing, I'd leave it as is!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:02 PM   #6

It sure doesn't look like much ground clearance you've got there.

Are you sure reverting to stock springs (perhaps US-spec M030, if you want a sportier ride) wouldn't be your best bet? Biggest cost is going to be labor to remove and tear into those struts again.

In case you are interested in adding thicker spring perches, below are a couple of the thicker stock spring perch options for you, (at least, for the rear of the 986 boxster).

These will definitely fit the rear, although I can't remember whether the fronts call for unique parts vs the rears (however, consulting the Porsche parts catalog would quickly and easily clear that question up).

A funny thing is that Porsche originally had a thinner (3mm spec) and a thicker (6mm spec) rubber spring perch options for our 986's, but then the thinner rubber one got "superceded" to a seemingly very thick polyurethane 987 part!

6mm spec, 986 rubber rear perch:

Porsche's superceded part (987 polyurethane style) for the 986 3mm spec rear rubber perch measures to a whopping > 14mm uncompressed thickness! (What was Porsche thinking?)

Not sure if you might be able to stack these up, if one weren't thick enough.

I will add that 987 polyurethane piece also seems to be softer, so may compress much more than the harder rubber version under the considerable weight each needs to bear. Haven't actually installed them yet to see.

I'm actually looking for the 3mm old school rear 986 rubber mounts - (anyone have a set of new ones they want to sell to me or trade/swap for either set of mine, let me know!)

Last edited by jakeru; 08-22-2017 at 07:14 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:58 AM   #7

Something like this might be workable - I have no idea if this one is the right size (it was the first one I found) but it slips in - if you were to compress the spring you could possibly insert something like this between the end of the spring and either the bottom spring perch or the strut top mount. I would be careful in the front as the strut top mount has a plate with bearings that allows it to turn and you wouldn't want to accidentally bind that up.

Edit: adding the link:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gls-1925
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:48 PM   #8

I manufacture spring spacers for Saab 9-5 rear suspension.\\Because the springs sag and the toe and camber get extreme it is a good selling part.

Depending on the dimensions I could built them for Boxsters or other P car models.

Do you have dimensions?

boxfix is offline   Reply With Quote