Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2017, 08:11 AM   #161

This is awesome! A question regarding the cooling, though. Where is the air intake? And how do you make sure it's not blocked in any way?
Am I correct when I assume that since this unit will extend far less deep than a regular stereo unit, there will be a lot of cooler air behind it, which will be used for cooling?

fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:14 PM   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridsten View Post
Q:Where is the air intake?
A: Back panel, middle-left side. Is not an intake, its an opening. The fan act as exhaust.

Q: how do you make sure it's not blocked in any way?
A: I don't. You get to do this! Although not exactly sure what you mean by that

Q: a lot of cooler air behind it, which will be used for cooling?
A; Doesn't need to be "cooling" specifically. I do advise on air circulation however. Refer to previous thermal model to know the air volume you'll need to equalize the temp in the unit.

Lastly, on the subject of 'cooling';

Auto makers already design their vehicles for console cooling, that is how they get away with dash electronics cooling in most of today’s vehicles – also to prevent ears from popping violently when opening the windows (neutral pressure eq). Mostly passive and relying on buoyancy (although not exactly sure how they manage the latest in a 'n' shaped dash, secret I guess). Your cabin/dash is not sealed water tight but you guys knew that already.

Because our kit is The-Best-in-the-World, ours absolutely NEEDS active cooling! Really depends what you do with it tough, if for listening music or for deco only (1~2watts CPU usage max) then passive cooling is sufficient. I’ve plugged in the active cooling for “Ultimate Performance” reason as I (personally) plan on beating the CPU in many ways (real-time OBD fast query and data logging, listening to police radios + FM radio simultaneously (with my newly acquired UV HF RTL-SDR tuner!!!), and/or while encoding H.264 media, etc etc… All At The Same Time if I need! You get the idea

But again; Intel chip… it comes with factory built-in protection e.g. start throttling at 80dC and auto shutdown at 90dC. Gives you an idea of what this little devil can withstand

Last edited by Nine8Six; 08-16-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:13 PM   #163

WOW Fred. I'm trying to follow some of the tech talk and this is fascinating. BTW, the headunit was the first thing I replace a month after buying. Its only been about 10 months and already went through 3 headunits. BTW, Im not sure I saw this earlier but will there be tuning options like Xover points, subwoofer phase, gains front and rear...etc? I am running a Kenwood KMM 515 Mechless unit at the moment. I had an Alpine ute-52, but the Kenwoods speaker/sound tuning won me over.
redciv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:35 AM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by redciv1 View Post
BTW, Im not sure I saw this earlier but will there be tuning options like Xover points, subwoofer phase, gains front and rear...etc?
Yea it got pretty high tech at some stage but I think we are done with this tough. The rest is mfg & play really. Already started the CAM work on the small parts and plan on manufacturing the IPS display frame and back enclosure as soon as I receive my pre-order on material.

RE Sound

At some stage in the built I’ve realized that none of us here have the same goal or/and taste for sound so I’ve simply enabled an AUDIO OUTPUT + MIC INPUT. You can obviously shoot this audio output straight in the Porsche OEM amplifier using a 3.5mm jack to RCA slitters (example) or (copy me) and go for a USB 6 Channel 5.1 HD external sound card. I kind of like the Creative Sound Blaster because of the software that comes with it but you can buy anything else that is plausible to you and within your budget e.g. 7.1 Surround Sound, subwoofer support and all! All very inexpensive stuff… search Amazon keyword “USB HD External Sound”.

That's right! Full Surround Sound in-a-car lolllll

I’ll provide the computer (same as a laptop really but 3x smaller). What you want to do with it is your choice! If you want to hook up a 1000W-RMS Alpine amp and 16 subwoofers to it, be my guess man

Lots and lots of Boom Boom options for you guys to choose. Obviously.

Be creative fellas
Old 08-17-2017, 12:49 AM   #165

At some stage someone/somewhere will do a small harness that connects to the unit's audio and terminate it in the ISO connector that Porsche uses (takes half a day to put together, and 5$) so we can have this Plug & Play, but atm this is sooo not on my TO DO list. So many other things to finish before starting on other projects. Eventually though, maybe lolllll

One-thing-at-a-time
Old 08-17-2017, 04:01 AM   #166
I am No. 1348

Garage
Fred, you blew my mind when you mentioned using a Soundblaster card in my Porsche. I keep forgetting you are using a Windows Core CPU. You are right, there are so many cool Creative Labs apps for the SB cards. I love it!

Count me in on the order list!
Old 08-17-2017, 09:56 AM   #167
MWS

Windows 10... Sigh. (And this is from a die-hard Windows person). My wife just purchased a new laptop w/ win10, and boy does it (insert your own expletive here). My plan this week is to install a copy of 7 (or hell, XP) so she can actually use it.

PLEASE tell us that the first thing your unit WONT do is prompt to update or direct us to Microsoft to purchase (what I feel should be included) software. I'm glad you went with the largest possible screen to accommodate all of the unwanted advertising and suggestions for items we don't want.

Above rant was meant in jest... I am sure you will just be running a shell and that Windows is just the OS. If this is indeed the case, coding the shell must be a PITA, and again (and always) thanks.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:18 AM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by algiorda View Post
Fred, you blew my mind when you mentioned using a Soundblaster card in my Porsche. I keep forgetting you are using a Windows Core CPU. You are right, there are so many cool Creative Labs apps for the SB cards. I love it!

Count me in on the order list!
Well spotted and good move. Nice toy for car, you'll love it

C.Labs, love it too!. Not exactly a young company tough, their product line is now pretty refined and purposeful. Glad to hear you like their work as well. I've actually been one of their loyal customer ever since SB nearly became a 'standard' in the early 90's

Last edited by Nine8Six; 08-17-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:43 AM   #169

Last edited by Nine8Six; 08-17-2017 at 12:32 PM. Reason: no advertisements lolll
Old 08-18-2017, 07:32 AM   #170

Community Help Required: It needs a name

Right folks, this is what came out in the standard 2DIN size. We are looking at a unit of only 180x100x45mm in size and if my software here is reporting the truth about the material properties I've set to my solids and components, we are talking about a half pound light unit (264grams).

Huge (huge) success in my opinion. Although I would have preferred to have it 35mm thick max but then, if I would be 'half' good at designing Micro-PC, I'd be an hidden asset and working out of the Samsung or Apple penthouse offices instead. Which is obviously not the case (not for this life anyway).

So... if everybody is happy with this, I'll just crack on and go materialize this little cool product for us (shop time!). Any objections (other than the Win10 OS lolll), do let me know and we'll start all of that over again together

PENDING:

We need a name for it. All I can think of are silly pretentious names such as "CARDREAM" or "DASHBUDDY" so I could do with your kind help on this subject. That is the only remaining bit left to do so I'd be eternally grateful to you folks if you could give me a hand with this. All it needs is a life!

Feel free to post if you have any creative ideas!

Lastly, here goes a few visuals of the kit. The final product will look exactly like this when it comes out of the machines. Once we've done that, all it will need is a Porsche 986 specific bezel (which clamps on top of the kit's faceplate). The Fun & Easy part!!!

Enjoy some of the last ever 2 colors visuals lolll

Last edited by Nine8Six; 08-18-2017 at 07:39 AM.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:03 AM   #171

Garage
PSIC = Porsche Sport Infotainment Center

or

PSIS = Porsche Sport Infotainment System

or

PIM = Porsche Infotainment Module
2003 S, 6 Speed, PCM, PSM, Bose, Litronics with washers, on its' second LN IMSB, comfort top, UDP, 987 engine mount, 997 RMS, Koni Sport Shocks, H&R springs, Techno brace, comfort blinkers, nin8six windscreen, particlewave light up cubby
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:08 AM   #172
MWS

Name... How about: THE FRUNK-MEISTER as in Fred's Radio Uber Neu Klingen - MEISTER. (Greatest apologies for my butchery of German.) Translated by Google as "Radio over new sound master".

I can envision an entire advertising campaign centered around "GET YOUR FRUNK ON..."

On second thought, Coaster's ideas are more fitting to VWAG's dull acronyms. +1 to PSIS, if your vast legal team will allow you to use "Porsche"...

Last edited by MWS; 08-18-2017 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Change of mind
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:55 AM   #173

You guys are too cool, thanks for helping. Please keep your brilliant ideas coming as I go off to bed to recover/suffer my Accute-Creativity-Failure. Normally recovers but can take a few days :/

We'll run those naming ideas in a poll (general section) and ask for vote. The winner gets a FREE kit (Value of US$9,986)! Oh, as for the 'member price', well that we'll all find out at the same time folks... once this is all machined and assembled

Thanks guys, too kind

Old 08-18-2017, 12:46 PM   #174

I'll suggest ICE Box, a mashup of In Car Entertainment and Boxster. I'll try to come up with more, though Coaster's naming convention is definitely more Porsche or VAG style. They love those acronyms.

Last edited by thatguychad; 08-18-2017 at 12:48 PM.
thatguychad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:47 PM   #175

How about:
FACT - Fred's Amazing Computer Thing (or substitute "Frickin'" instead if you are modest)
or
FACTOIDS - Fred's Amazing Computer Thing & On-board Information Display System
or
GT Infotainment System (goes along with the GT Collection headlights)

I'm sure I'll come up with some others... I'll pass them along if they are worthwhile (not that I let that threshold stop me from posting these!).

I can hardly wait for this thing!

-Troy

Driving this car makes me wish I lived farther away from work!
Troy.Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:21 PM   #176

I like Troy's ideas, a variation, GTIC ( GT Infotainment Center), or GTEC (entertainment center), also, your Honda has VTEC? Well my boxster has GTEC.

I like ICE Box, maybe some other *** Box variations... Hmmm. I'll keep thinking...
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:07 PM   #177

Proschecomp.

Amazing work, by the way, Fred!

Last edited by jakeru; 08-18-2017 at 08:09 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 03:35 AM   #178

Brilliant Fred!!!
PCA-
Porsche Car Audio
redciv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 03:44 AM   #179

Thanks all for the great ideas and kind words fellas, again, too kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWS View Post
your vast legal team will allow you to use "Porsche"...
Haha yea, the (TM) Porsche is ruled out, won’t be used. Loving some of the ideas that includes the GT tough (won’t lie).

(edit/content censured... my god was I talking about my 2 dogs... how relevant???!!!)

Back to Infotainment Systems, for now we’ll leave this to rest, or at least until I’ve received all of the material and have something that is materialized.

I’ll update as soon as I progress

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy.Boxster View Post
I can hardly wait for this thing!-Troy
Troy, I can't wait for it myself. Thanks brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeru View Post
Amazing work, by the way, Fred!
Nice compliment, coming from you!

Last edited by Nine8Six; 08-20-2017 at 04:12 AM. Reason: dogs?! nah....
Old 08-19-2017, 06:21 PM   #180

Garage
Hey Fred whar about
GT Boxster Box
You realy have somme great idea for project man, I love all your project.
We are luky to have you as a member here.