Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
Usercpy

Garage
Installing 3rd brake light strobe

Hi,
Just want to share this simple DIY 3rd brake light flasher, delay version.
I've seen this on F1 race cars, kinda cool and it's proven more visibility when it flashes, and it's great safety issue.
I went for delay version because in rush hour traffic brake light will act normally on solid(slow drive, hit&brake all the time)
and will not irritating other drivers during rush hour.
The brake flashes 6 times about 2 sec and then turn solid, touching your brakes again within 8 seconds will cause
your third brake light to turn on normally without flashing.
!! With the module, you need a simple resistor to work properly on Boxster !!
no error codes. simple install.

3rd brake light strobe, delay version Porsche Boxster 986 - YouTube

I have tried both from Kahtec and 3rdbrakeflasher.com, 3rdbrakeflasher module is programable. i haven't found other brand with delay version, both are great.
you need resistor to work properly both og them.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeching View Post
Hi,
Just want to share this simple DIY 3rd brake light flasher, delay version.
I've seen this on F1 race cars, kinda cool and it's proven more visibility when it flashes, and it's great safety issue.
I went for delay version because in rush hour traffic brake light will act normally on solid(slow drive, hit&brake all the time)
and will not irritating other drivers during rush hour.
The brake flashes 6 times about 2 sec and then turn solid, touching your brakes again within 8 seconds will cause
your third brake light to turn on normally without flashing.
!! With the module, you need a simple resistor to work properly on Boxster !!
no error codes. simple install.

3rd brake light strobe, delay version Porsche Boxster 986 - YouTube

I have tried both from Kahtec and 3rdbrakeflasher.com, 3rdbrakeflasher module is programable. i haven't found other brand with delay version, both are great.
you need resistor to work properly both og them.

You also need to note that this mod is illegal in many states.................
Old 12-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
Usercpy

Garage
yes, there are some regulation, but it seemed to be legal up to 4 pulses then og steady in most states.

link to FAQ:
Pulse FAQ - Pulsing Not Flashing Third Brake Questions

another forum thread:
Flashing Third Brake Light - Page 2 - Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum

Last edited by ilikeching; 12-13-2013 at 01:40 PM.
ilikeching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeching View Post
yes, there are some regulation, but it seemed to be legal up to 4 pulses most states.

link to FAQ:
Pulse FAQ - Pulsing Not Flashing Third Brake Questions
If I were you, I'd look into that fact further before spending any money on this, in this state the rules on flashing lights on any type of automotive vehicle is limited to certain types of lights, colors, mounted at specific vehicle locations, and only on authorized vehicles with state certifications. The state regs on the subject do not mention anything about the number of pulses, but they are pretty specific about who can use them, and the penalties for use without proper certification. Even shop emergency vehicles have to be certified...............

Last edited by JFP in PA; 12-13-2013 at 02:12 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #5

Hi.
I've had this Mod for a few months now.
Just click on video to start play.

No regulations in the law regarding this mod over here in the UK
Guvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I love the idea, but JFP is correct: highly illegal in most (all, I'm sure) states. If an officer sees that, you'll get pulled over. I guess you could always try to play it off as a short in the wiring or something, but that's a gamble.

Any flashing lights on a vehicle, other than turn signals, are illegal unless it's certified and approved to have them. A friend of mine got in trouble a couple years back for having flashing LED lights on his valve stem caps (tacky, I know).
The charge was impersonating a police officer or something similar
Old 12-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #7

Cops just love aftermarket light infractions as ticket bait; last August, a local community hosted a cruise night, and we ended up with more than a dozen cars left at the shop overnight because they had aftermarket HID kits (non projectors), which are also not legal in many states. Several car club member's went to court to fight the $150 tickets they had gotten, as well as having to stay overnight at a local hotel, and they all lost. The kits could not demonstrate DOT approvals, which makes them a safety violation at night. A lesson some should take note of, as we cannot pass cars equipped with aftermarket non-projector HID lights at inspection .
Old 12-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #8
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Cops just love aftermarket light infractions as ticket bait; last August, a local community hosted a cruise night, and we ended up with more than a dozen cars left at the shop overnight because they had aftermarket HID kits (non projectors), which are also not legal in many states. Several car club member's went to court to fight the $150 tickets they had gotten, as well as having to stay overnight at a local hotel, and they all lost. The kits could not demonstrate DOT approvals, which makes them a safety violation at night. A lesson some should take note of, as we cannot pass cars equipped with aftermarket non-projector HID lights at inspection .
I am quite sure, that those strobe lights are illegal in Germany, too. Basically everything is illegal here, which is not officially certified (e.g. most interior LED lights, after market pedals, HID kits, or even an original Porsche AERO KIT, which is not properly installed, or just partially installed)...i would say like 95% of the after market stuff out there or 99% of the Chinese aftermarket stuff

BUT officially certified EMERGENCY BRAKE (strobe) lights are available from WAECO.
Those are required in new cars now anyways. I got mine installed from my Porsche dealer, just for safety purposes. Just imagine
Autobahn...high speed...hilly...curvy...TRAFFIC JAM

you'd better have good brakes and a car in front with emergency brake strobe lights

P.S.: It is a little black box, which checks several emergency break parameters of the car and then sends a strobe/pulse signal to the break lights

Last edited by BRAN; 12-14-2013 at 12:29 PM.
BRAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #9

I put one of those modulating headlight things on my Goldwing so more people would notice me and I'd be safer on the road. Sounded like a good idea and it was also legal where I live. I only had it on my bike for 2 days when some guy in an old truck that was in front of me gave me a waving hand signal that indicated he wanted me to pull over. So I did. He threatened to punch my lights out (not the headlights) if I didn't turn them off. I ended up taking the module out as it didn't seem to enhance my safety, but made me a potential assault victim. Your results may vary.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #10
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickinduncan View Post
I put one of those modulating headlight things on my Goldwing so more people would notice me and I'd be safer on the road. Sounded like a good idea and it was also legal where I live. I only had it on my bike for 2 days when some guy in an old truck that was in front of me gave me a waving hand signal that indicated he wanted me to pull over. So I did. He threatened to punch my lights out (not the headlights) if I didn't turn them off. I ended up taking the module out as it didn't seem to enhance my safety, but made me a potential assault victim. Your results may vary.
"...not the headlights"?

You are right, results may vary, depending on what and where you install it
I tell you, once you have seen emergency pulse brakes lights in front of you...you want them, too...and not because of the cool looks

You just know instinctively...strobe/pulse flashing brake light...right into your eyes..."it is high time to put the pedal to the metal as hard as you can" (uhm...the brake one)...it can save lifes and $$$.

P.S.: From the manufacturers website
"Unfortunately, fatal accidents have become part of everyday life. Drivers who don’t concentrate or keep too little distance cause most of them. Is there anything you can do about it? Keep a safe distance to the vehicle in front of you – and retrofit the WAECO MagicSafe ABL 100 emergency brake light!
If you need to brake hard because of an emergency or hazardous situation, all three brake lights start flashing at a high frequency. The following driver is alerted: studies have shown that the reaction time of the person in the vehicle behind is reduced by 0.2 seconds. At a speed of 100 km/h that means the braking distance is actually reduced by five-and-a-half metres! Since February 2010 all vehicles newly registered in Europe have to be equipped with an emergency brake light. ..."

Last edited by BRAN; 12-14-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #11

Garage
25251.5. (a) Any motor vehicle may also be equipped with a system
in which an amber light is center mounted on the rear of a vehicle to
communicate a component of deceleration of the vehicle, and which
light pulses in a controlled fashion at a rate which varies
exponentially with a component of deceleration.
(b) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with two amber lamps on the
rear of the vehicle which operate simultaneously with not more than
four flashes within four seconds after the accelerator pedal is in
the deceleration position and which are not lighted at any other
time. The lamps shall be mounted at the same height, with one lamp
located on each side of the vertical centerline of the vehicle, not
higher than the bottom of the rear window, or if the vehicle has no
rear window, not higher than 60 inches. The light output from each of
the lamps shall not exceed 200 candlepower at any angle horizontal
or above. The amber lamps may be used either separately or in
combination with another lamp.
(c) Any stoplamp or supplemental stoplamp required or permitted by
Section 24603 may be equipped so as to flash not more than four
times within the first four seconds after actuation by application of
the brakes.

Interesting tidbit from the california VEHICLE CODE
SECTION 25250-25282...I think its ok here?
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
You pull over for random people telling you to? Isn't that, like, the second rule you learn besides dont take candy from strangers?? That is how all bad scifi movies start..
Old 12-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by epapp View Post
25251.5. (a) Any motor vehicle may also be equipped with a system
in which an amber light is center mounted on the rear of a vehicle to
communicate a component of deceleration of the vehicle, and which
light pulses in a controlled fashion at a rate which varies
exponentially with a component of deceleration.
(b) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with two amber lamps on the
rear of the vehicle which operate simultaneously with not more than
four flashes within four seconds after the accelerator pedal is in
the deceleration position and which are not lighted at any other
time. The lamps shall be mounted at the same height, with one lamp
located on each side of the vertical centerline of the vehicle, not
higher than the bottom of the rear window, or if the vehicle has no
rear window, not higher than 60 inches. The light output from each of
the lamps shall not exceed 200 candlepower at any angle horizontal
or above. The amber lamps may be used either separately or in
combination with another lamp.
(c) Any stoplamp or supplemental stoplamp required or permitted by
the brakes.

Interesting tidbit from the california VEHICLE CODE
SECTION 25250-25282...I think its ok here?
Except that your Federally mandated third brake light is red.............
Old 12-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #14

Garage
Any stoplamp or supplemental stoplamp required or permitted by
the brakes.

Section 24603 is about taillights and the requirement for them to be RED post 1979. So part C of 25251.5 applies to cars fitted with a third RED brakelight. DGAF, doing this mod. I will surely abide by the '4 times in 4 seconds' however.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Any stoplamp or supplemental stoplamp required or permitted by
the brakes.

Section 24603 is about taillights and the requirement for them to be RED post 1979. So part C of 25251.5 applies to cars fitted with a third RED brakelight. DGAF, doing this mod. I will surely abide by the '4 times in 4 seconds' however.
The third brake light size, location, color, and illumination specs are not regulated by state laws, but by Federal NHTSA code (DOT HS 808 696). Fed always trumps state.........but it's your money and you will be getting the tickets.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #16

Quote:
You pull over for random people telling you to? Isn't that, like, the second rule you learn besides dont take candy from strangers?? That is how all bad scifi movies start..
But I live in Canada. He could have been wanting to talk to me about how awesome my bike is, or maybe to apologize for thinking he cut me off. Come to think about it, I think he had a Colorado plate which might have explained the situation. He did scare me though. Enough so that I forgot to apologize and thank him for his concern. I suppose I should have offered him a peace offering as there was a Timmies near by. Nothing says sorry like a double double with timbits.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #17

Garage
Quote:
I suppose I should have offered him a peace offering as there was a Timmies near by. Nothing says sorry like a double double with timbits.

Haha, I'm not familiar with Timmies or timbits but if all Canadians have those kind of manners, im moving there
Old 12-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Haha, I'm not familiar with Timmies or timbits but if all Canadians have those kind of manners, im moving there
"Timmies" is a Tim Horton's coffee shop, popular in the "Great White North" and "a double double with timbits" is a Canadian term used to describe how you take your coffee - two teaspoons of sugar and two creams. Preferably used in any Tim Horton's location, where you can also sample Timbits, or what we call donut holes.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 12-18-2013 at 12:57 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #19
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
"Timmies" is a Tim Horton's coffee shop, popular in the "Great White North" and "a double double with timbits" is a Canadian term used to describe how you take your coffee - two teaspoons of sugar and two creams. Preferably used in any Tim Horton's location, where you can also sample Timbits, or what we call donut holes.
Timmy Ho ho ho...yummie
Old 12-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Oh yes, we would love to have you come here to live. We would treat you real nice. Well, most of us would. The Gubmint, on the other hand would bend you over that nice shiney boxsta hood and make you squeal like Larry of the three stooges. You'll pay so much in taxes you'll be thinking your last bill for an ims bearing replacement was like spare change in your pocket. You like good music? We have Celene Dion or Justin Beiber to chose from. But we do have timmies on every street corner so life is good.

Now for my mandated apology for the thread jack.

Sorry.