Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2017, 12:02 PM   #1

MAF sensor R&R what size Torx ?

I did a search on this site and on Google . General consensus is that it is a T20 security Torx but some say it is a 5 star ( vs. 6 star ) security Torx . My 6 star T20 security Torx does NOT fit the screws . I tried grabbing with pliers , vice grips , jamming screwdrivers etc. and neither one will budge . I have no problem buying the correct tool just need to know what that is . To my eye the screws have 5 points but it's difficult to get a good viewing angle . If anyone has the tool part number that would be great . Looks like bit is the best way to go .

2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:32 PM   #2

Screw it ( pun intended ) I just ordered a set of 5 star security Torx bits will have by end of week . Once I get the MAF sensor out I will throw those Torx screws as far as I can !!! Stupid fuc#@%&*ing design !!! Will replace with standard hex head .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
Old 01-30-2017, 11:39 AM   #3

I had a set of 20 security bits from Harbor Freight and the one size in there fit the MAF.

Throw that security bolt and the one on the transmission case as well over the Falls in Niagara.

Annoying!
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:03 PM   #4

Be careful when you remove the MAF.It is delicate.
Make sure the upstream screen is still intact and not blocked with debris.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:12 AM   #5

I received the 5 star security Torx bits in the mail so this morning I went about removing/replacing the MAF sensor. It took a whopping 30 seconds to do with the right tools As it turns out the screw size on mine was TS25 I only mention that because I found many posts that stated it was T20 . Anyway that job is now done .
Old 02-15-2017, 05:20 PM   #6
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
I pulled out my MAF today to check if it needed cleaning. Not bad for 30k! I agree the security torx screws can be a pain, and to reach. I used the proper security bit which was installed in a 3" magnetic extension, and the extension was fit into a small socket with a 8" inch extension. I had to wrap tape around the magnetic extension where it was inserted into the 1/4" socket. Things just would not stay together. I might add, when the screws were completely loose, I used a telescoping magnet that I placed on the head of the screws to keep from loosing. The MAF is somewhat hard to get to and it's a tight area, plus the wiring connector is hard to remove. I pulled the MAF without removing the wiring connector. The connector is easier to remove once the MAF is removed. Anyway all work out OK.