Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2016, 05:47 PM   #1

Garage
Move HVAC module

Has anyone moved their heater module from above the radio to one of the cubby holes? I want to install a 2 din stereo but not sure on the move. Did a search but nothing came up.

davedeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:52 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
There is a trim piece that allows you to move it to the lowest storage bin slot.

http://www.5150motorsport.com/lower-climate-control-unit-surround-trim-996-552-339-00-01c.html

Search google. You'll get more results.

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/312-relocating-climate-control.html

Last edited by particlewave; 12-20-2016 at 05:56 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:22 PM   #3

Garage
Thank you for the info.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:06 AM   #4

Hi did mine to fit double din Pioneer SPH-DA 120.
Easy to do, hardest thing is getting the plugs through for the HVAC unit in the lower position. But stick with it and you will get there!
Don't be fooled into buying the trim to move the HVAC unit off fleabay...they wanted £29.99 here in the uk. I got the exact same trim from Porsche for £4.60!
I have left the cup holders in as well (personal choice) lots of "kits" you can buy is only if you remove the holders. I used the old trim to fill the gap under the head unit by cutting it to suit. I have ordered a double usb lead that i plan to fit into the space on the opposite side to the cigarette lighter but am still waiting on it. Hope this helps

also added splash screen

Last edited by bonesy; 01-02-2017 at 05:14 AM.
bonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 05:15 AM   #5

Splash

Splash screen
Old 01-10-2017, 04:21 PM   #6

Garage
You basically have the look I'm after. I hope i can put the Porsche logo on the screen. Thanks for the pics.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:33 AM   #7

Here's the finished project. Double USB adaptor fitted (right hand side) the other is a double USB charger using cigarette lighter.
Splash screen is easy just make sure you use correct format & size. Also on the headunit i fitted you can only use the USB 1 input to uplaod picture. Other headunits may be different you just need to check.
Next project I'm going to replace rear Bose speakers (currently not working) but use the actual unit and wire them via a 4 channel Amp.

Hope all goes well for you.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:14 PM   #8

Garage
Finished product minus trim around stereo. I lost several religions moving the HVAC wiring and poking my thumb thru the screen on the first unit while jockeying into position. This is the second stereo I had to buy. But in the end everything works. Again thanks for the advice.