Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2003, 01:23 PM   #1

relocating the climate control

I managed to retrofit the 2001 in-dash cupholders into my 2000 boxster, but now I have to move the climate control down to the bottom opening in the dash like they sit in the 2001's. There is a special faceplate, and probably something to hold the cilmate control unit on the sides. I am wondering if anyone knows these part numbers, or is willing to take out their climate control unit in the bottom spot and get the faceplate part number and the interior side holder part numbers. It seems there are no porsche dealers that know anything about this. I guess they dont want people doing mods themselves. Please help. Also, if anyone wants the part numbers for the cupholders, let me know. It is only 120 bucks for, "BY FAR", the nicest cupholders for the boxster, and takes about 15 minutes to install.

cjmchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 02:15 PM   #2
Regional Moderator

This year I've decided to bite the bullet and do the so-called "GT3 console delete" in order to have more leg room. I might start this weekend, in which case I'll try to note the numbers for you.
CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 03:25 PM   #3

My Boxster is a 2000 as well....same trouble...
NO CUPHOLDER?!?!?!?
Anyway I have heard of people moving the climate controls to the lower area like the 2001. Please let me know how tough it is for you to do this yourself. If not hard I might follow the same idea and purchase the cupholders.
jfmillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 05:06 PM   #4

The a/c trim part number for that location is 996-552-339-00-01C for black plastic is I think. Jeff

http://www.babblers.org/board/archive.pl?read=15873
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:43 AM   #5

tool,

The trim you speak about with allow me to put the AC control down to the last slot. I ordered the piece from porsche for like 6 dollars but want to make sure since I did a double din navigation .
clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:45 AM   #6
blkboxster

damn this is a old thread
Old 07-12-2007, 06:47 AM   #7

sorry bro.. i just got around doing the pioneer double din navigation and was not sure of the part # number to the trim so i can put the ac control down to the last slot
clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #8

problem moving the climate control

ok so i want to install a double din radio in my 99 boxster but when i attempted to move the climate control unit to the bottom of the storage bin it seems to be getting caught on something. i already have the new faceplate im just at a stand still because of this unit. anyone have any tips or ideas? am i missing something? thanks.
BigAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:13 PM   #9

Garage
Getting caught as pulling unit out or moving wires farther down?
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:31 PM   #10

putting unit into the lower cubby hole. its goes 80 percent in then gets jammed. then after it is in place how do i secure it?
Old 04-06-2011, 01:36 PM   #11

From what I recall if you have the trim pieces off the sides, you might be able to see what's going on in the back. You might need a mirror.

I moved mine from bottom to top, deleting the useless cupholders, and I don't recall anything for it to catch on.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #12

I sold my (useless) cupholders and related parts to someone who wanted to do essentially the same thing as you (except cupholders rather than double DIN stereo).

But from looking at some pics and my notes, it looks like the only things required to mount the HVAC controls in the bottom position are two screws and the outside trim piece.

Although I have a vague memory of the screws mounting the unit in the bottom location not being the same as those for mounting up top. And maybe not in the exactly the same location, either. Sorry for being so vague, but it was a while ago.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #13

it is in i just needed a little bit of elbow grease to go in thanks for all the help.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #14

Hope the OP does not mind that I borrow the thread.

I had no problem re-routing the wiring harness but I cannot for the life of me get the a/c unit all the way in in the lower slot. Just like mentioned earlier, it slides in nicely but then stops when there is about 5 mm to go.

No amount of elbow grease helps, it just won't budge. It is not friction, it is hitting something. Very hard to see but the only possibility is that the two protrusions on the top surface (see photo) of the unit are being blocked by the divider above, which takes a "step" downwards about halfway into the cubby.

From all the other postings about this I expected this to be an easy mod with no dremel involvement so I will ask here before I trim them off.

Shouldn't it just drop in?

My car is a 2003 but the unit was replaced by the PO, as evident by the week of manufacture 44/07 on the label, if that is relevant. Maybe the 2007 unit is different than the original and does not fit in a 2003 lower slot?

Last edited by politby; 09-04-2012 at 11:20 AM.
politby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:18 PM   #15

I'm experiencing the same problem! I'm moving my climate control unit to the bottom of the stack and it's running into some resistance. I'll continue to try tomorrow, but not quite sure what it's hitting.
KeepFloppin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:40 PM   #16
Usercpy

Garage
I have these installed not the lowest, but one step up, it get more visibility and not turning head too much downward while driving(safety issue) i found this position more handy, and its next to the stereo.
I installed to the lowest first before..
the trim around the climate control (red arrow) was from originaly upper trim(yellow mark) you need to cut to fit.
No screwing, slide the climate control in and it stays firm.

Last edited by ilikeching; 10-17-2014 at 04:44 PM.
ilikeching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:54 PM   #17

I was able to use a bit more force & the climate control somewhat snapped into place. I realized I needed to remove the connectors prior to pushing the climate control into the proper position.

KeepFloppin is offline   Reply With Quote