Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2016, 07:50 AM   #1

Water in battery area 1999 Boxster

Can anyone tell me why I am getting water in the battery area even with all the plastic pieces in place and seated properly? It doesn't make sense that Porsche would allow water to get in that area with all the wires in that area. I see a drain hole but I get lots of water as I am in Miami with very heavy rain.

Any help would be great.

project986miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:37 AM   #2
water drains

There are two drains in the 'floor' of the battery compartment. They are apt to become clogged by leaves, blocking the drainage from that compartment so that it fills up and overflows into the interior through openings in the 'firewall'. Clean the debris out of the drains so you don't get a wet interior carpet, or worse, a failed immobilizer circuit box which is located below the driver's seat on the floor (brilliant, just brilliant of Porsche...).
old911doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:57 AM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I had that problem on one of my '99s. To really clean out the drains, blow compressed air through the drains, up from the wheel well. I think you have to remove the fender liner.

Along with what old911doc mentioned, the early brake boosters are susceptible to water intrusion if water pools in that area. That will lead to a sticking brake pedal.