Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2016, 07:40 AM   #1

Electrical Problems

I have a 99 Porsche Boxster that i purchase recently and i did do light check on the spot and all lights turned as expected. About a week ago, weird things started to happen. First i notice that my door lights were not turning on. i put a bulb in it and it became extremely hot, so much that i disconnected the bulb.

Then two of my rear drivers side lights were not working. Went over to autozone, purchase those two lights new and replaced them but still didnt turn on.

My front headlights turn on but the low cortesy lights and side lights dont turn on.

When i drove it on the weekend i went to turn it on and it would not do anything.

i then looked it up here and i read that it could be the ignition switch. That when it goes bad weird things start to happen.

Even the horn started to sound on and off.

My ignition switch/ electrical arrived but have not had the chance yet to replace it.

Has anybody else experience the same thing as i have?

c_maldonado2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:38 AM   #2
Crib

Garage
Can definitely, at least partly, be the ignition swith.

Before i switched mine a couple of weeks ago I had a phenomenon that when I turned the key to aux mode everything worked like radio, lights etc. But when starting the engine all aux functions died, except for head lights.

After i while i understood that if I rotated the key backwards slighty after turning on the engine the aux started to work again, so the spring action in the ignition switch forcing it back from starter engine back to aux was not operating properly.

Anyway the problem was gone with a new ign switch.

It could be, that your ign switch is intermittently closing/opening the aux loop.

But I guess that doesnt explain why some bulbs head up, that sounds more like a short somewhere.
Crib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:08 AM   #3

If I can find the one I removed I will do an Autopsy. AKA cut the ******************** open .
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:22 AM   #4

left side drivers side parking lights wont work

i installed a new ignition switch and i replaced all bulbs.
i also went over all fuses and all are good.

i took out the inside panel that holds the bulbs from both sides of my rear lights

i unplugged the panel from the plastic wiring adapter and i plugged that panel
on the right hand side wiring adapter and my lights finally turned on.

which means that some were on the left had side the wiring is not working or making a good ground contact.

can anyone tell me how to ground that wire to ground, from were?
Old 08-24-2016, 04:21 AM   #5

i gave my cars electrical schematics to a mechanic friend of mine that also knows about electrical problems and going over the bulbs that wont turn on and following the schematics he determind that i had a bad headlight switch.

I will be buying and installing the switch soon. i'll let you guys know. :dance:
Old 08-24-2016, 04:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_maldonado2001 View Post
i gave my cars electrical schematics to a mechanic friend of mine that also knows about electrical problems and going over the bulbs that wont turn on and following the schematics he determind that i had a bad headlight switch.

I will be buying and installing the switch soon. i'll let you guys know. :dance:
That`s a lot easier install to do than the ignition switch.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:27 AM   #7

I'd cut to the chase if if was yoiu. These cars are know to go through ignition switches. Light switches are also prone to fail (if you take one apart it is VERY apparent why).

1. Do your ignition switch. It's a $15 part that will fail anyway. It may take you a bit of time if you've never done one before but in all actuality, it's about a 20-30 minute job.

2. Pull your headlamp assemblies out and remove access covers. Inspect wiring for crumbling insulation. Very common and will cause lights not to work.

3. Make sure your headlight assemblies are making with the tray connector. sometimes the connector flexes back a bit when you insert the assemblies and you don't get a good connection.

4.. Pull your headlight switch and either replace with know good one (used is A LOT cheaper) or pull your switch apart and clean all the contacts. It can be done and has worked on my car for over a year (my headlights were hit and miss).
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:01 PM   #8
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
I'd cut to the chase if if was yoiu. These cars are know to go through ignition switches. Light switches are also prone to fail (if you take one apart it is VERY apparent why).

1. Do your ignition switch. It's a $15 part that will fail anyway. It may take you a bit of time if you've never done one before but in all actuality, it's about a 20-30 minute job.

2. Pull your headlamp assemblies out and remove access covers. Inspect wiring for crumbling insulation. Very common and will cause lights not to work.

3. Make sure your headlight assemblies are making with the tray connector. sometimes the connector flexes back a bit when you insert the assemblies and you don't get a good connection.

4.. Pull your headlight switch and either replace with know good one (used is A LOT cheaper) or pull your switch apart and clean all the contacts. It can be done and has worked on my car for over a year (my headlights were hit and miss).
This is excellent advice and the OP would be wise to follow it.
My first ignition switch change took all of 5 minutes and they are not expensive.

The headlight switch can often be saved as noted above. You don't even have to disassemble it
Pull it out of the car and spray contact cleaner into it while switching it back and forth to work the carbon off of the internal contacts.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:05 PM   #9
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
It looks from an earlier post that he already installed a new ignition switch and changed all the bulbs.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
It looks from an earlier post that he already installed a new ignition switch and changed all the bulbs.
Your correct...
So on to step 2!
Old 08-26-2016, 10:20 AM   #11

wow, guys, very valuable information that i am sure to try this weekend.

I really hope it works.

i'll keep you posted.

Thanks again,

Carlos
Old 09-17-2016, 08:24 AM   #12

Smile

Sorry for the late reply.

Headlight switched arrived. paid 145.00 including shipping.
I saw the video and read instructions so many times that it literally took me
20 min to take out old one and put new one in.

Tested it, wam bam kazaam, my porsche lid up like a christmas tree.

Im so happy. Never worked before since i bought my car 3 or 4 month ago.

I really appreciate the help guys.

Next project headlights retrofit. later guys. and thanks again.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:52 AM   #13

Great conclusion -well done to those who helped you.
Suggest you keep the old switch as a spare if the electronic cleaner fixes it ?
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:07 PM   #14

Excellent news! Enjoy your car!