Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2014, 06:57 AM   #1

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Ashmyster79
Air filter/cabin filter replacement

So decided today to change the two filters. Something simple to do and straightforward. I went with a K&N filter so see how that goes. I think we all know how to do these so won't bother with a step by step but happy to do one for someone who wishes to know.

There were no issues at all removing the Bose system speaker on the back shelf just remember to unplug the connector wire on the passenger side of the car

I think it is a good idea to take a hand held vacuum with you to clean out any mess you find in the engine bay. I do need to clean my engine but will do this at a later date. Any suggestions on what to use to clean the engine?

There was some rubbish in the engine bay. Looks like tissue paper and a few feathers mixed in with a piece of wood

Below are some pictures.

Ashmyster79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:33 AM   #2

Are there directions somewhere that show how to remove the Bose Speaker Shelf?

I'd like to change the drive belt and filters but have not found how to remove the speaker shelf.

Thanks

Doug
dfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:11 AM   #3

Great pics!
Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:14 AM   #4

You're better off changing back to paper filter from the K&N... it'll mess up your MAF sensor.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:28 PM   #5

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfoster View Post
Are there directions somewhere that show how to remove the Bose Speaker Shelf?

I'd like to change the drive belt and filters but have not found how to remove the speaker shelf.

Thanks

Doug
on the passenger side there is a plug just under the shelf that you have to unplug
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:23 AM   #6
Tyler

Garage
As Fintro11 stated, there is a plug for the wiring on the passenger side along side of the rollbar. You have to pinch the sides to release it, and on mine I typically find this the hardest part of getting into the engine bay.

Once the wiring is disconnected, there are two "thumb screws" on top of the bose speaker. Turn those to loosen the shelf. Then you can just lift it out.

However, note that to get to the drive belt you will have to access the front (not the top) of the engine bay. you access that from the firewall behind the seats. Open the top first, then you can remove the carpet on the fire wall behind the seats. Once the carpet is removed, you can see the access panel on the firewall behind the seats.

When I first bought my boxster 5 years ago, I found a small pile of items (paper, straw, cigarette butt) in my engine compartment, similar to yours. I figured one of the previous owners had stored it for awhile and a mouse started making a house up in there. I don't really know, but I keep the engine bay a lot cleaner now than when I first bought it.
redbox986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:10 AM   #7

Thanks Fintro11 and Redbox986

Success at changing the drive belt last night with your help

Doug

dfoster is offline   Reply With Quote