Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2016, 07:24 PM   #1

Garage
DIY PSE with electronic valves?

I'm gonna throw this out there to see if anyone takes the bait.

Here is a link to some electronic exhaust valves:
2.0" Motorized exhaust cutout valve

and the dash switch:
Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories Dash Switch - Exhaust Icon

Anyone willing to pick these up and tell us how it turns out? I've seen a number of people do a DIY PSE, but I'm not seen anyone do it with the valves and a dash switch.

Tony

Old 02-15-2016, 07:58 PM   #2

uh. i think pse is a little different than electric cutout valves. this has been discussed before, but to summarise, cutout valves are a standard hotrodder thing that completely bypasses the muffler. they can be found anywhere; jegs, ebay, summit, etc. you can get electric or manual, the idea being that they will only be operated occasionally.

pse taps some of the exhaust after the first baffle and directs it to the tips. so, never a complete muffler bypass. further, the valves are vacuum operated and they cycle tens of thousands of times - the same rpm signal that triggers the resonance valve on your intake also triggers the vaccum switch so that the valves only open over 4000 rpm - quiet while cruising but loud when you step on it. or, back pressure when you need it at low rpm and less restriction at higher rpms. electric valves are not as fast and can't cycle nearly as many times before failure as the vacuum ones.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:22 AM   #3
Ben-Auto-Design

You can always do the piping to have them go to the tip like the PSE.
But yes, as you said, it won't work exactly the same, just on or off when you press the button.
Ben-Auto-Design : Performance parts for 9X6 / 9X7
1982 928 S Euro
Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:27 AM   #4
1998 Boxster Owner

Porsche Boxster (Before 09)
Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benitom View Post
nhp make a cheaper one. if you want to diy then something like this is the soln:

2X 60mm Wireless Exhaust Controller Vacuum Valve for 930 964 993 996 986 911 | eBay

you can set it up to be manually controlled, or run automatically as per the oem pse. some plumbing still to do - need a 2" cut out on the exhaust to go to the valve (easy enough to cut and insert it at the u-pipe/mid-pipe joiner) and then send the bypassed exhaust somewhere - straight out? into a resonator? back into the muffler so as to bypass the first baffle? there is a guy on this forum selling custom bypass pipes, but are *I think* 1" (2" is a lot of additional piping) so some reducing would be required unless you could find a 1" valve.

Last edited by The Radium King; 02-16-2016 at 11:16 AM.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:09 AM   #6
1998 Boxster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
nhp make a cheaper one. if you want to diy then something like this is the soln:

2X 60mm Wireless Exhaust Controller Vacuum Valve for 930 964 993 996 986 911 | eBay

you can set it up to be manually controlled, or run automatically as per the oem pse. some plumbing still to do - need a 2" cut out on the exhaust to go to the valve (easy enough to cut and insert it at the u-pipe/mid-pipe joiner) and then send the bypassed exhaust somewhere - straight out? into a resonator? back into the muffler so as to bypass the first baffle? there is a guy on this selling custom bypass pipes, but are *I think* 1" (2" is a lot of additional piping) so some reducing would be required unless you could find a 1" valve.
I was kinda being facetious considering the price of a Capristo But I do appreciate you educating the thread. I learn something new every day

Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote