Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2016, 12:28 PM   #1

3D Printed Boxster Parts

Starting this thread as a location to pick up the 3D models for 3D print 986 parts and a reference on how to go about making your own model of parts you want to make.

Especially handy for custom parts and others which are just too overpriced.
You can 3D Model the parts yourself to create ".stl" files and have them printed so you don't need to invest in a printer to reap the benefits.
There are plenty of free/open source 3D Modeling Applications available online.

There are service companies that will print from a supplied 3D model file, so you dont need to own your own 3D Printer.

Existing sources for 3D models:

Search Thingiverse - Thingiverse

"porsche" 3D Models to Print - yeggi

Models | 3D Resources (Beta) - NASA (just interesting no Porsche moon rovers yet)

3D Models - GrabCad Library

3D Printing Services:

https://www.3dhubs.com/

"porsche" 3D Models to Print - yeggi

Prints in other materials as well.(Gold, Silver, Stainless Steel, Clay)
Porsche - Shapeways 3D Printing Search Results

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 01-21-2016 at 11:08 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 12:29 PM   #2

3D printed 986 parts:

Wheel Center Caps (Pending- added 3/31/16)

Double Din Radio Surround trim (Pending)

Mesh Headrest Replacement (Requested)

Iphone6 vent holder
Iphone6 and parking card holder for BMW Z4 by Maztah - Thingiverse

Arm Rest Storage - Cup Holder Insert (Requested)

3D Cayman 987 model
http://www.planet-9.com/981-chat/91125-print-your-own-3d-981-cayman.html

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 03-31-2016 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:37 PM   #3

3D Modeling Education

3D Printing Basics
3D Printing Beginners Tutorials

3D Modeling Apps

Sketchup
FreeCAD
OpenSCAD
List of 3D Modeling Software

Techniques/Tips

Last edited by jb92563; 01-15-2016 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:08 AM   #4

Would be nice to have the 'P O R S C H E' lettering and the newer smaller 'Boxster S' badge available as a 3D model file, ready for 3D printing. Won't cost much to print, and a can of chrome paint & lacquer wouldn't cost much either to make it look original.

Buying the original lettering and smaller chrome Boxster S badge costs almost £100 new.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraintthomas View Post
Would be nice to have the 'P O R S C H E' lettering and the newer smaller 'Boxster S' badge available as a 3D model file, ready for 3D printing. Won't cost much to print, and a can of chrome paint & lacquer wouldn't cost much either to make it look original.

Buying the original lettering and smaller chrome Boxster S badge costs almost £100 new.
That would be pretty easy to do but because of the resolution being ~ 0.3mm you tend to get layer lines that would need some post processing to make it smooth.

One could brush some acetone on he lettering to melt the surface together to remove the lines or applying filler and sanding, which would be a bit tedious and time consuming.

What lettering do you need. I need some for my Trunk and it did not occur to me to 3D print it. Great suggestion.

Last edited by jb92563; 01-21-2016 at 06:37 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:10 AM   #6

Garage
I have the font installed with my solid works installation, so I can print PORSCHE font on anything.

Here are a few things I've done thus far (all the good stuff is not posted ).

Porsche keychain by chiggayeuh - Thingiverse - PORSCHE keychain, looks great and holds up extremely well (better than the actual leather porsche keychains). I print at 0.1mm Z and 15% infill

AMG logo keychain by chiggayeuh - Thingiverse - AMG keychain (work for Daimler - MB) so this one is given

I will post some other parts when I get home with the hopes that maybe someone wants to build on them. I have one portion of a rollbar cover (backside of the rollbar, like the Klissle covers that were sold) that fits but never finished the remaining pieces.

I also have lots of sensor cases for a project that involves putting lots of sensors in my boxster (complete IOT car sensor system with backend logging to a home web server). They won't be of much use unless you have the exact sensors/PCBs that I do but why not.

AND eventually, mesh headrest inserts .

Does anyone here have more than beginners experience with 3d modeling that is interested in continuing my designs?
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:17 AM   #7

Garage
I have also printed the letters for the trunk, correct size, filleting etc a while ago. They would work as perfect replacements for OEM (seriously). You just need lots of patience to cut out adhesive to the correct shape (make sure it is quality adhesive).

I had the letters printed out and ready to put on my trunk, then the GF got me the new black PORSCHE letters as a gift, so I opted for those instead .
Old 01-21-2016, 09:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraintthomas View Post

Best resource for STL and IGS is www.grabcad.com guys. Car parts/badges, guns(! literally), gears, shafts, you have pretty much everything you can imagine sitting there.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:38 AM   #9

That:

That's exactly what I was looking for. The PORSCHE lettering, accompanied by the smaller Boxster S logo. I'd love it, but I refuse to pay £100 for it.

I'm in the UK (South Wales, specifically) so I may find a local 3D printer to get it done.

I know a bit of 3D myself as I do VFX in TV for a living, so I may be able to help others here

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
Old 01-21-2016, 10:07 AM   #10

Garage
I can share the letters to this thread tonight. Ill share STL and .part files so you can modify them if desired.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:07 PM   #11

Garage
As promised - PORSCHE emblem letters, accurate size in .part (editable) and .STL (printable) form.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fqu4i2l9amiw8ul/AAAHCRzSeY7SXYv7KHwSrfq2a?dl=0
Old 02-02-2016, 09:34 AM   #12

Garage
BTW: pics required if you print the letters!!

Any other cool printable things? I have been looking for a new style custom keychain. Any ideas? I can try to prototype it as well.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:37 AM   #13

Garage
Old 02-02-2016, 10:24 AM   #14
Ben-Auto-Design

I have a cool things to print ^^

An intake plenum, and a shifter trim, and a shift knob
Ben-Auto-Design : Performance parts for 9X6 / 9X7
1982 928 S Euro
Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:31 PM   #15

Garage
Please post them!

I need the trim for my shifter (wobbly) and have always been interested in printing a shift knob.

The intake plenum might melt...
Old 02-04-2016, 02:55 PM   #16

You mentioned the PORSCHE emblem is accurate size - is the file you've uploaded a certain size ready for print? Or would you have to state what size to print?

If it's a set size ready to print, is it accurate to the 981? Would be fantastic if it is!

Old 02-04-2016, 03:57 PM   #17
Ben-Auto-Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by epapp View Post
The intake plenum might melt...
http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/55966-intake-plenum-911-throttle-body.html

For the shift knob, send me your e-mail via PM I'll send you the stl file. It's very simple, just a ball with PORSCHE written on it.

Ben.
Ben-Auto-Design : Performance parts for 9X6 / 9X7
1982 928 S Euro
Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:23 PM   #18

Garage
That part is printed from nylon . I don't have a printer that can get that hot.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by epapp View Post
That part is printed from nylon . I don't have a printer that can get that hot.
Guys, come on, get back on track please.

That part needs casting. Something you can do out of humid sand with a frame made out of 1/4" plywood (in your backyard). Once you got that done just drop by your nearest forgery and scoop up cast aluminum from them and poor it down the feeding hole. Going to cost you $10 +a tip. As-in a fraction of what it cost to print this out.

Get all ends machined by your machine shop and off you go. Add up $50.

That's what I do with my one-off parts here and will do it again. Not sure what's the holdup with this thing. Nylon or not, with the extreme heat and vibrations this part is going to look like a marshmallow after one summer.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:00 PM   #20

Lookup "aluminum casting" on youtube if you don't know how to fabricate a sand mold. If a teenager can do it, something tells me you guys can as well.