Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2015, 03:02 PM   #1

Krylon Fusion for Plastic Trim

I'm working on my memory seat project and I need to refurbish the plastic piece that holds the trunk controls and the memory buttons. It is a bit worn.

I was thinking of using satin black Krylon Fustion for Plastic to do the work. I would sand first and then spray 3 or 4 light coats.

Has anyone used this and can provide feedback on the appearance and durability?
Fusion for PlasticŪ - | Krylon

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:38 PM   #2

Satin is too glossy.

Krylon make a flat black Fusion paint, but it was not available at the stores I checked.

I ended up re-spraying with Krylon Maxx flat and it was an excellent match. I just hope that it is durable.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:26 PM   #3

I am doing a similar project on my 986 (although on a much larger scale... Interior parts are laying around everywhere right now) and am planning to use SEM Color Coat Satin Black #15243. They had color swatches of it in stock at the auto body supply place I bought it from and I held up a factory soft touch black (2001 boxster) interior piece next to it, and it seemed perfect.

I am debating whether to clear coat it with 2-part polyurethane semi-matte clear coat (spray max 368 0067) for even more added durability. The auto body guy steered me away from the flat clear, saying it wouldn't match.

(Although I am still debating whether to bother with the 2-part polyurethane, as I was quite impressed with the apparent durability of the SEM Color Coat sample I looked at and handled... could not scrape it with my fingernail even after trying pretty hard.)

Before looking for the specialty products, I did a test of some very inexpensive "ultra flat black" camo paint from rustoleum. It was far too flat after being sprayed, but was actually a very nice color match after treating it with 303 aerospace protectant, as I read it would be on some VW or Audi forum. I was concerned about its durability enough to decide against doing my whole boxster interior with it, though. (This is not a job I want to have to do a second time!)

Getting off the old soft-touch finish is a chore... I've tried quite a few different things and nothing working all that easily. Some if it (such as on armrests, for example) comes off much easier than others. The plastics and textures used are not the same across all the interior parts. I've been scraping the bulk off with a plastic razor blade, and then getting the last part with a scotch brite pad scrub. Hot water seems to help a bit. Isopropyl alcohol helps somewhat, as does brake fluid. But still, it's a lot of effort required (and I'm probably about half way done with it so far - still have the center console to do, and those sill pieces you pictured!)

Before spraying the SEM Color Coat, I plan to use an adhesion promoter (which is basically a primer for plastic) after also prepping with grey scotch brite pad and having all old soft touch finish material removed.

Last edited by jakeru; 01-07-2016 at 09:30 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote