Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2015, 12:46 PM   #1

Adding OBC stalk without removing steering wheel?

I read somewhere that the OBC stalk is a bolt on to my existing 3 stalk and that you do not need to remove the steering wheel to do it.

Does anyone know of a DIY that follows that?

Thanks, John

Old 09-30-2015, 12:55 PM   #2

Garage
It's pretty straight forward: remove the cover on the side, bolt on the OBC stalk, plug it in the harness, install new cover (or reuse old one by cutting it open).
You'll see how easy it is once you remove the side plastic cover.
EJ-Fresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:46 PM   #3

I was looking at the book 101 Projects and the first step for either the cluster upgrade or the OBC enable is to disconnect the battery.

I am not removing the airbag and I am not upgrading the cluster. I am adding a stalk and running the cable to the back of the cluster.

Do I really need to disconnect the battery?

Thanks, John
Old 09-30-2015, 04:39 PM   #4

Garage
Better safe than sorry. Once you start making the electrical connections the battery ought to be disconnected. I added the 4th stalk by bolting it on the existing setup. It went fairly quick.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:50 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc763 View Post
I was looking at the book 101 Projects and the first step for either the cluster upgrade or the OBC enable is to disconnect the battery.

I am not removing the airbag and I am not upgrading the cluster. I am adding a stalk and running the cable to the back of the cluster.

Do I really need to disconnect the battery?

Thanks, John
Yes. I've done this, and it's no big deal. But absolutely, disconnect the battery.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:15 PM   #6

Just completed the upgrade! Very easy!

I bought a 4 stalk from Woody and a cable from PDwight. It took about 90 minutes in total.

I disconnected the battery.

I removed the steering cowl (4 screws behind the wheel and 2 screws on the side of the cowl. It is a clamshell so you lift the top and remove the bottom. That exposes the turn signal unit.

Next, I screwed in the OBC stalk that I removed from the 4 stalk I bought. 2 - 4 mm hex screws.

My 4 stalk had the two hole rubber so I swapped it with my 3 stalk.

I then used the 101 projects book to completely remove the cluster.

I threaded PDwight's cable from the cluster area along the steering colum to the new 4th stalk.

I followed PDwights (after verifying it with the 101 projects book) documentation to insert the new wires into the correct sockets on my connector.

I mounted the ground strap and then "set" everything back in place to test.

Reconnected the battery and tested - Success!

I then screwed everything back together, reset the clock and my stereo head unit and now I have OBC!!!

Thanks Woody for the 4 stalk and thanks PDwight for the cable! Makes this mod really easy!

John
Old 10-01-2015, 06:03 AM   #7
WALDMEISTER

Garage
I was the one, attaching the OBC-switch to my existing 2-stalk, without disconnecting battery/removing the steering wheel. I followed pelican parts & 101 projects book instructions, but without removing the wheel...worked perfectly for me. I don't like to fiddle with airbags and steering wheels...but a few screws are no problem.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
I was the one, attaching the OBC-switch to my existing 2-stalk, without disconnecting battery/removing the steering wheel. I followed pelican parts & 101 projects book instructions, but without removing the wheel...worked perfectly for me. I don't like to fiddle with airbags and steering wheels...but a few screws are no problem.
I did find your post and learned that it is possible to just add the stalk (but I couldn't remember where I read it!). Thanks, you saved me a lot of time!
Old 10-01-2015, 10:08 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc763 View Post
I did find your post and learned that it is possible to just add the stalk (but I couldn't remember where I read it!). Thanks, you saved me a lot of time!
One word of advice before you start disassembly, put the top down. Your life will be much easier.

Ask me how I know.