Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2015, 12:31 PM   #1

Rear Spoiler Removal on 986

I've done searches and have come up empty.

Can anyone direct me to a DIY on removing the rear spolier?

Old 05-13-2015, 01:08 PM   #2

Try pasting this in the search bar...

Cayman S spoiler installed
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 01:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate 01 View Post

PM Boxstersteve. He recently removed and painted his spoiler, so should have some insight.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:45 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate 01 View Post

Why do you want to remove it?
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Box View Post
Why do you want to remove it?
Thanks all for the input.

I am removing it because I am thinking of putting another spoiler on and I want to do a dry fit to see if I like it.

I was over in your area last week, took a tour of the Tor House in Carmel, checked out the Storybook Cottages, in general had a great time.

Back to the matter at hand. I'm still looking for how you remove spoiler. There are 3 little plastic bud things that obviously must come off, but they fit so tightly that it seems like I am going gouge the crap out of my spoiler, and since I may not want to replace it. Any help out there on the finer points of removing this thing?

Last edited by Slate 01; 05-13-2015 at 04:37 PM.
Slate 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:21 PM   #6

Push in the plastic pins in the centre of the the three plastic rivets. They will fall inside the spoiler but you can retrieve them later. Pull out the rivets and the spoiler top clips off. I think there are plastic end caps on either end of the spoiler too that pull out. The metal part is held on with two Allen bolts which you can see once the plastic top is removed. Been a while since I took mine off.
BoxsterPHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterPHD View Post
Push in the plastic pins in the centre of the the three plastic rivets. They will fall inside the spoiler but you can retrieve them later. Pull out the rivets and the spoiler top clips off. I think there are plastic end caps on either end of the spoiler too that pull out. The metal part is held on with two Allen bolts which you can see once the plastic top is removed. Been a while since I took mine off.
Mucho Gracias, BoxsterPHD, I will give that a shot today. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:16 PM   #8

Hey Guys...I am trying to remove the rear spoiler on a 2003 Boxster S and it does NOT have the 3 plastic rivets on the front of the spoiler...This one has 4 holes on the rear and there are no rivets or screws...You can see right through into the inside??

Maybe someone already messed with it? But I need to pull off the top painted piece so I can remove the assembly (I think the plastic gear is stripped as only one side goes up) but I can manually pull up the other side.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
FantasyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:32 AM   #9
pjq

I looked through my old pic's and pic's did not detail the removal of the spoiler. Bentley book and Projects 101 refer to pre 2003 cars, so I went down to the garage and extended the spoiler on the car.
First, do this in a warm environment not a cold garage. The plastic will have no give.
The front of the spoiler is smooth( no rivets) the rear has the 4 holes and the ends have removable side pieces. These ends come off after? The very back side of the spoiler (underneath) has little tabs they will break if you don't use patience and warm temperature.
If I recall, use a probe to push through the 4 holes on the rear and gently pry up the front face at the same time. when you push through the 4 holes you are pushing on dimples that are molded to the back side of the face of the spoiler.
When you have all 4 of these dimples dislodged from their holes on the front then carefully, with both hands, roll the spoiler up and back watching for the little tabs under the back side edge.
I remember it being a nerve racking job and next time I will do it in warm temperatures.

Pat.
pjq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:20 AM   #10

Slate 01 , if your near silicon valley, stop by I'll walk you tru taking it off.

matt

Sassmatt72 is offline   Reply With Quote