Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2017, 07:31 AM   #41

Christian - can you give me background on the color of your car? I've never seen the shade of green on the exterior on a Boxster. Was it a paint-to-sample color order? Interior I'm assuming is Nephrite Green?

What else is unique/special to the car? It's a beauty!

Thanks!

Rick

Old 01-26-2017, 09:08 AM   #42
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I don't know...my living room set (couch, love seat and recliner) are all light tan genuine suede. They were stain guarded at time of purchase six years ago and there isn't a single spot on them, despite many spills. There was even an ink pen incident and it came right out.

I guess I was asking because some people actually think Alcantara is real animal hide. Some guy on the Volvo forum insisted that it was alpaca suede.
Again, great work Christian!

Last edited by particlewave; 01-26-2017 at 12:18 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:47 AM   #43

If you guys are looking at adding the common Porsche leather look & feel, you need to source Nappa smooth grain leather
Old 01-26-2017, 12:23 PM   #44

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
Christian - can you give me background on the color of your car? I've never seen the shade of green on the exterior on a Boxster. Was it a paint-to-sample color order? Interior I'm assuming is Nephrite Green?

What else is unique/special to the car? It's a beauty!

Thanks!

Rick
No problem Rick and thank you, at the risk of deviating from the original thread.
The interior is indeed Nephrite green the exterior colour was actually ordered from the exclusive range and is Mint green (964 RS colour) the car also had an interesting list of options from the exclusive range too but I'd hate to hijack this thread!

Chris

Last edited by Christian H; 01-26-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Christian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:37 PM   #45

Garage
Fred,

I'm actually looking for the Alcantara look/feel. If it turns out that I don't like it, I may switch it back (I have a second set of all the pieces). I think it'll come out nice though. Ultimately, I'm looking at grey Alcantara for all of the vinyl parts on the center console, and carbon fiber hydro-dip for the rest of the center console. It shouldn't be too radical of a make-over. I want it to look like something that could have come from the factory.
Tony
Old 01-27-2017, 01:52 AM   #46

Hey Tony, agree with alcantra being the best way to go. Easy to work with I've heard from other chaps here who've also covered accessory pieces (popular stuff here). Certainly looks beautiful and if well done it is indeed as close as it gets to the factory look. Forget leather... unless you have some super skills. Might get lucky but only if you use the thin/silky looking nappa imo.

Seen grey a lot, everyone here seems to go for it and I'm not sure why. Once saw black Alcantra in person and if you'd give me the option, I'd certainly go for that instead. Looks so nice man

No exp with hydro-dip, I've never seen it in fact. How resistant is it? do you have to coat it with something for durability afterward?
Old 01-28-2017, 07:01 AM   #47

Garage
If you look back through this thread, there is an image of a hydro dipped console. It's sprayed with a layer of gloss clear coat for looks and durability.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2017, 07:42 AM   #48

got it thanks

Seen various vids of the hydro-dip thing but they never really saw the coating part. Didn't bother to research either mind you. It just to came to mind and got me curious that's all

Luck with the mods, looks like plenty of fun coming your way!!! Lucky you