Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2015, 10:15 AM   #321

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
I think it's a security thing going on with the states, some of our work shipments have been sitting at customs for a few days as well

Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:21 PM   #322

Confirmed working: Ashtray Light connectivity

I can dbl-confirm that Martin's ashtray install methods works just perfectly. The circuit is indeed 6.6volts however it delivers 9V when the SkyBreaker is connected. More than enough current flows to power ON the kit. Looks good!

1) Remove ashtray
2) Unscrew the two torx screws
3) Pull out the assembly and set aside (no need to unplug anything, switches etc)
4) Splice both brown & bleu ashtray light wires and terminate as you wish (soldered mines, covered with 2" of electrical tape. Sufficient)

Brown = ground (goes to SkyBreaker black)
Blue = positive (goes to SkyBreaker red)

No need to remove the console, the cabling is so small it's easy to push under with your fingers. My controller is now residing in the armrest compartment same as Martin's initial idea. I've hidden the 385 kilometers of wires under the carpet/driver's side however

In all, the installation takes aprox 20-30min. From sliding out your OEM windows to closing the lid of the armrest compartment! Way too easy and extremely unchallenging (i.e. boring)

The rest really is to snake the little WD cable around the hoop. Copy what I did (see pics below) or if you are braver than me, pull off the trim and tidy everything inside of it. The reason I chosen this method is because it will be easy to remove for cleaning. I don't want to bother removing the trim each time - I'm suspecting brittle clips under there!

On a side note, I couldn't push back my Boxster inside its storage shed so I had no choice but to start it up. Guess what, went for a 2hrs topless drive (warm and bright sunshine here today). Just came back all fixed lollll haven't driven this car for almost 1.5months. What a blast each time

Last edited by Nine8Six; 01-23-2015 at 09:24 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:48 AM   #323
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post
I think it's a security thing going on with the states, some of our work shipments have been sitting at customs for a few days as well
I'm still in customs as well. Has anyone's shipment cleared customs?
Old 01-24-2015, 09:20 AM   #324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
I'm still in customs as well. Has anyone's shipment cleared customs?
J - CN4, HK1, Canada3 & UK2 cleared only atm

USA SkyBreakerians - Any concerns by PM pleeze (will send an update privately in 48hrs). Keep The Faith loll
Old 01-24-2015, 03:22 PM   #325

please let me know when you make more....i'd like to purchase one
geetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:50 PM   #326

Looks good during the day too
Old 01-24-2015, 05:29 PM   #327

[QUOTE=Nine8Six;433070]I can dbl-confirm that Martin's ashtray install methods works just perfectly. The circuit is indeed 6.6volts however it delivers 9V when the SkyBreaker is connected. More than enough current flows to power ON the kit. Looks good!

1) Remove ashtray
3) Pull out the assembly and set aside (no need to unplug anything, switches etc)
4) Splice both brown & bleu ashtray light wires and terminate as you wish (soldered mines, covered with 2" of electrical tape. Sufficient)

No need to remove the console, the cabling is so small it's easy to push under with your fingers. My controller is now residing in the armrest compartment same as Martin's initial idea. I've hidden the 385 kilometers of wires under the carpet/driver's side however
/QUOTE]

Fred,
Sorry to be so pedantic (remember I'm a complete novice)
When you do this:
Splice both brown & bleu ashtray light wires and terminate as you wish

Does the ashtray light still work after you connect the skybreaker wires? Or does it eliminate the light? Not that it really matters if the light in there is lost, but just wondering.
Plus instead of soldering, I have these wire connectors I use so you don't even have to strip the insulation from the wires and no tape needed.
Sorry if this is a stupid question, I just don't want to short circuit anything
Thank You
Old 01-24-2015, 05:31 PM   #328

Quote:

Looks good during the day too
Looks great even with the Top up too What's that writing on your mesh deflectors. Are they 3rd party deflectors or just stickers on them?
Old 01-24-2015, 06:30 PM   #329

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonD View Post
Looks great even with the Top up too What's that writing on your mesh deflectors. Are they 3rd party deflectors or just stickers on them?
club grill badges
Old 01-24-2015, 07:41 PM   #330

Quote:
club grill badges
They look great, I also noticed from the close up pics you secured the mesh on with a black cable tie. Is one enough?

oooo just noticed too you probably are aware already, with the top up the PORSCHE lettering on the window doesn't centre with the skybreaker PORSCHE lettering. Or maybe it's just the angle the pic was taken
Just saying
Cheers

Last edited by JonD; 01-24-2015 at 08:01 PM.
JonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:29 AM   #331

It's just the angle, do you really think either Mr F or Dr F would not have got the image central?
mavis.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:17 AM   #332

[QUOTE=JonD;433162]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
I can dbl-confirm that Martin's ashtray install methods works just perfectly. The circuit is indeed 6.6volts however it delivers 9V when the SkyBreaker is connected. More than enough current flows to power ON the kit. Looks good!

1) Remove ashtray

/QUOTE]

Fred,
Sorry to be so pedantic (remember I'm a complete novice)
When you do this:
Splice both brown & bleu ashtray light wires and terminate as you wish

Does the ashtray light still work after you connect the skybreaker wires? Or does it eliminate the light? Not that it really matters if the light in there is lost, but just wondering.
Plus instead of soldering, I have these wire connectors I use so you don't even have to strip the insulation from the wires and no tape needed.
Sorry if this is a stupid questi

on, I just don't want to short circuit anything
Thank You

Ash tray light still works, soldering would be best but connectors will work remember it's very small wire, hard to crimp connectors too.

I will take a picture of it today for you. I had my 8 year old daughter help me hold each wire as I soldiered them
Old 01-26-2015, 04:08 AM   #333

Just got this message at 8.00 AM - USPS package Inbound Out of Customs 01/26/2015 4:30am. Your item cleared United States Customs at 4:30 am on January 26, 2015.

Excited!!

Last edited by amitmishra4; 01-26-2015 at 04:11 AM.
amitmishra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:23 AM   #334

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitmishra4 View Post
Just got this message at 8.00 AM - USPS package Inbound Out of Customs 01/26/2015 4:30am. Your item cleared United States Customs at 4:30 am on January 26, 2015.

Excited!!
Woo Hoo! Mine cleared at 4:23am
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:31 AM   #335

AS of 630 PST, still stuck in customs in LA. Been sitting there for 5 days now. It took 1 day to get from China to LA, but the efficiency of the the US customs strikes again. Between those jokers and the IRS, well I won't go any further I'm sure NSA is watching.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:20 AM   #336

Garage
Thanks to everyone who are posting their installations...any other ideas are welcome and I'll be deciding what method suits my limited electrical skills

Tracking shows that my deflector arrived in town over the weekend and should be out for delivery today. Can't wait!

Note to self...remove watches/rings before handling and mild detergent, warm water, clean microfiber when cleaning.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:10 AM   #337

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjazz View Post
Thanks to everyone who are posting their installations...any other ideas are welcome and I'll be deciding what method suits my limited electrical skills
I bet some will come up with pretty fancy set-up - let's see! The easiest = ashtray. I'm also keeping my eyes open for that dual-intensity brake circuit activated thingy. For the red kit I think it would be a nice feature. The other colors aren't much of a 'safety' concern imo, can be turned on anytime/anywhere.

As far as set-up(s) goes, it's all at its infantry atm. Plenty you can do with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjazz View Post
Note to self...remove watches/rings before handling and mild detergent, warm water, clean microfiber when cleaning.
Maintenance is required on this kit. Buy yourself a plastic polishing kit that you can use for headlights, tail lights, and your illuminated WD. One kit fits all (e.g. NOVUS)

And remember, a kit like that is only meant to be effective after you have cleaned & detailed/wax your roadster. Meant to accentuate the topless drive really, stylish!. I leave mine turned off when the roof is up, but turn it ON when the car is spanking clean and roof is down only. Fancy accessories really... looking good is all it does loll

The etch also looks killer in day time. Top quality soft white, frosty, high res, etc. I think you'll all love that effect as well

Exterminate the WD Stickers lolll
Old 01-26-2015, 07:19 AM   #338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate 01 View Post
AS of 630 PST, still stuck in customs in LA. Been sitting there for 5 days now. It took 1 day to get from China to LA, but the efficiency of the the US customs strikes again. Between those jokers and the IRS, well I won't go any further I'm sure NSA is watching.
Cheap air mail shipping, manual customs clearance, etc etc.... can't be fast mate! When you ask they tell you eta 10-15days (contract promise). And when you complain, they tell you 10-15 "open business days sir" LOL

Its all random really... unreliable timing, etc, but the good part is; it always gets there!

Express shipping however is lighting fast 95% of the time (EMS). At least these guys have clearance broker services at ports of entry. That's embedded in your shipping (fast track). Much faster but sadly twice the price. But hey... 7 days and it's in your hands anywhere in the states (Colorado mountains, bad weather, whatever... "it works")

So much I can help from my end, helpless on that sorry. Fingers crossed guys
Old 01-26-2015, 07:31 AM   #339

Garage
Shipment arrived in Germany today Installation will be done next weekend as I have to leave to Paris now ...

Last edited by hemonu; 01-26-2015 at 07:57 AM.
hemonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:44 AM   #340

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
I bet some will come up with pretty fancy set-up - let's see! The easiest = ashtray. I'm also keeping my eyes open for that dual-intensity brake circuit activated thingy. For the red kit I think it would be a nice feature. The other colors aren't much of a 'safety' concern imo, can be turned on anytime/anywhere.

As far as set-up(s) goes, it's all at its infantry atm. Plenty you can do with it

Maintenance is required on this kit. Buy yourself a plastic polishing kit that you can use for headlights, tail lights, and your illuminated WD. One kit fits all (e.g. NOVUS)

And remember, a kit like that is only meant to be effective after you have cleaned & detailed/wax your roadster. Meant to accentuate the topless drive really, stylish!. I leave mine turned off when the roof is up, but turn it ON when the car is spanking clean and roof is down only. Fancy accessories really... looking good is all it does loll

The etch also looks killer in day time. Top quality soft white, frosty, high res, etc. I think you'll all love that effect as well

Exterminate the WD Stickers lolll
I've been using PlastX for the rear window and factory deflector up till now. Seems to work well...is Novus preferable?