Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2014, 04:56 PM   #141
Custom User Title Here

Garage
How about 2-3 layers of PMMA, each with their own LED strip and etch for an overlaid, multicolored, multilayered 3D effect?

Joking, of course...it would probably look cool, though

Old 11-26-2014, 06:06 PM   #142

Interesting enough, this is exactly what those Japanese do. 4 colors... requires 4layer of pmma each with its independent LED color. Not a bad idea but gives a bit of a headache in all honesty

They also cast pmma with built-in micro mirrors (no kidding) and position them so a laser beams can create patterns and shapes.

The other one they have on display is the holographic 3D windeflector. Don't ask me how they do this... above my head lol The one I've seen was a V12 engine (Lamborghini or something like that...). Now that my man was impressive.

They do those for roadsters and convertibles while some other dudes call themselves the Best in the World LOL

* Not going to link anything/anymore or post wild pics here (LOL) so use your EN~JP translator and lookup for 3D wind deflector or around those keywords if you want to find them
Old 11-26-2014, 06:11 PM   #143

Reality is PMMA multilayer vision will be for another life for me

Just got a tracking no. from the seller of the PWM module so we're all good on doing the modeling of the LED control box. Shark vents and all.... luxury dimmer lol

Got to go walk the dogs......

Last edited by Nine8Six; 11-26-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:25 PM   #144

Small box! Slightly bigger than a matchbox

Old 11-27-2014, 02:20 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by eicheldp View Post
Hi Fred,
I hope you have a good weekend and wish you the best to you & your family. Happy Holiday
You are so cool, thanks mate

All the very same to you!

Out of town for two days so I'll be able to pickup work on the wind deflector this coming Sunday eve. Little boxes... who would have imagine lol
Old 11-29-2014, 08:51 AM   #146
WALDMEISTER

Garage
2 words: "Awesome work!" or "Awesome Nine8Six"

After you're done with this fantastic project, i have another cool idea (illuminated interior) for you!
Old 11-29-2014, 09:51 AM   #147
WALDMEISTER

Garage
An illuminated Alu Boxster Logo in the little batwing.

I used a key chain Alu logo, which came with the back then brand new Boxster, stuck it into a milky plastic frame, used amber/yellow leds from an illuminated stick shifter to put them behind it and used the ashtray led Powerline to connect them with.

The picture is very roughly photoshoped to give you an idea, how it looks illuminated. I am sure, you could come up with a TOP Quality solution for that...or maybe even better ideas.

Old 11-29-2014, 06:21 PM   #148
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post

I used a key chain Alu logo, which came with the back then brand new Boxster, stuck it into a milky plastic frame, used amber/yellow leds from an illuminated stick shifter to put them behind it and used the ashtray led Powerline to connect them with.

The picture is very roughly photoshoped to give you an idea, how it looks illuminated. I am sure, you could come up with a TOP Quality solution for that...or maybe even better ideas.

I have never seen switches mounted on the cd holder
Didi you run out of space on the horseshoe and the ash tray?
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:40 AM   #149
WALDMEISTER

Garage
yuppers... (easy task after 14 years of ownership)

Batwing: +2 switches

CD-holder: +2 switches (with re-designed icons; photo is not quite up-to-date)
The original concept (no one uses CD/DVDs anymore) & design (not even illuminated and just too plain in that spot) is old and obsolete now.
Future idea is to install mini Sub+amplifier behind it, but keep the old-school front look & switches.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:56 AM   #150
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
yuppers... (easy task after 14 years of ownership)

Batwing: +2 switches

CD-holder: +2 switches (with re-designed icons; photo is not quite up-to-date)
The original concept (no one uses CD/DVDs anymore) & design (not even illuminated and just too plain in that spot) is old and obsolete now.
Future idea is to install mini Sub+amplifier behind it, but keep the old-school front look & switches.
What are they all for?
How did you change the icons?
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 05:39 AM   #151
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
What are they all for?
How did you change the icons?
...catapult seat
...sprint Booster
...night vision display
...foot well light Switch
...spoiler activation / controll lamp
...Garage door opener
...nail release button
...Sport exhaust mode
...rear/front cam switch
...secure sat-phone line to austin "Danger" powers
...microwave on/off
...Disco Ball on/off

...just grind them icons down till the milky-white layer shows, fine black ink pen, clear coating on top, polish, done. Not a biggie.

Last edited by BRAN; 11-30-2014 at 06:03 AM.
BRAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:32 AM   #152

Quote:

Cool idea Bran! Adding or modifying the car's interior lighting is not the easiest task :/ Trying to keep a factory look to the car is by all means the most challenging part

While in the context of interior lighting... here goes some other glow-in-the-dark Top Secret project I've been working on. Simply meant to modernize the look & feel of the Porsche gauges... which in my opinion are a tad boring in their stock format. Design is simple, it's a copy of the common AL gauge bezels concept you find everywhere but custom made to accommodate micro LEDs. Also requires a custom made PCB that sit behind a diffuser made out of PC (frosty finish). All of that hardware squeeze inside the bezel, and sits on top of the gauge's face. All it does is glow on the face of the gauges.

I've put up the idea with the local Pcar community here and got pretty good feedback. Some also recommended adding Sequencial Shift Lights (SSLs) around the tach's bezel (top). Concept: microcomputer taps onto the RPM pins from the OBD harness, interpret that signal, lights up LEDs according to the rpm range!

Perfect useless gadget for the little Ricer in us However I must say the gauge glow thing is phenomenally beautiful... having seen a prototype working already (in red, of course).

Perhaps in 2015 I'll get back to this work - we'll see. I want my WIND DEFLECTOR before

Last edited by Nine8Six; 11-30-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:38 AM   #153

Quick update on the Wind Deflector:

Been a while, sorry. Was off to HQ for our monthly last Friday's meeting and came back late Sat. I do appreciate these meetings as I get to see the team one month older each time lol

Design and Cam work is final on the LED controller box (the dimmer!). I had one spare 40" long 6013 billet aluminum slab so I've cut 15 stock pcs out of it to manufacture those little boxes. Great number because it matches the order the supplier of the PWM module sent me - I've received 15 of those little boards. So one for my boxster, and 14 spares lol

Also did (another) fixture to machine those control boxes. Goes fast... top & bottom machining operations, off to anodize and laser at last. Takes about 20min per box all together (not assembled!).

Great results, very satisfied with the quality. Solid, non-plastics, PWM works flawlessly and it has an audible on/off "click"... how marvelous lol

NEXT: Electric. Cabling, MOLEX connectors!

NEXT, NEXT: INSTALLATIONNE!!!
Old 11-30-2014, 10:42 AM   #154

Garage
Very nice work
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:14 PM   #155
WALDMEISTER

Garage
There we go!!!
Awesome concept, I knew you could come up with another cool idea, "project 986 illuminated interior"... :dance:
Old 11-30-2014, 12:24 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Cool idea Bran! Adding or modifying the car's interior lighting is not the easiest task :/ Trying to keep a factory look to the car is by all means the most challenging part

While in the context of interior lighting... here goes some other glow-in-the-dark Top Secret project I've been working on. Simply meant to modernize the look & feel of the Porsche gauges... which in my opinion are a tad boring in their stock format. Design is simple, it's a copy of the common AL gauge bezels concept you find everywhere but custom made to accommodate micro LEDs. Also requires a custom made PCB that sit behind a diffuser made out of PC (frosty finish). All of that hardware squeeze inside the bezel, and sits on top of the gauge's face. All it does is glow on the face of the gauges.

I've put up the idea with the local Pcar community here and got pretty good feedback. Some also recommended adding Sequencial Shift Lights (SSLs) around the tach's bezel (top). Concept: microcomputer taps onto the RPM pins from the OBD harness, interpret that signal, lights up LEDs according to the rpm range!

Perfect useless gadget for the little Ricer in us However I must say the gauge glow thing is phenomenally beautiful... having seen a prototype working already (in red, of course).

Perhaps in 2015 I'll get back to this work - we'll see. I want my WIND DEFLECTOR before
I would love a Boxster "logo" (like the one pictured) in my dashboard that would turn red when redlining it.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:35 AM   #157
WALDMEISTER

Garage
hmmm...Speed + Boxster Logo...let's see:

lol...i noticed the time...9:96

Last edited by BRAN; 12-01-2014 at 09:42 AM.
BRAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:50 PM   #158

Garage
Could i tie it into an empty switch spot on the dash? I'd like to turn it on when I want it.
2003 S, 6 Speed, PCM, PSM, Bose, Litronics with washers, on its' second LN IMSB, comfort top, UDP, 987 engine mount, 997 RMS, Koni Sport Shocks, H&R springs, Techno brace, comfort blinkers, nin8six windscreen, particlewave light up cubby
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:38 AM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
Could i tie it into an empty switch spot on the dash? I'd like to turn it on when I want it.
Absolutely. I'll make sure to provide sufficient cabling lenght to reach to the dash.

Mine will be ON all the time lol Can't wait in all honesty....

(pissing rain, windy & cold here. at the shop cutting those blades as I type!!!!)
Old 12-11-2014, 04:29 PM   #160

Just wanted to keep this thread active, so others that didn't see it before would take notice. I think there would be quite a bit of interest in this for their Boxsters.

Any updates to report?