Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2014, 09:11 AM   #1

Covering your door pocket covers in leather....warning

Do not use Loctite 300 Heavy Duty Spray Contact Cement. I chose this over the regular 3M Super 77 because it said it was heat and water resistant. First it comes out of the can like silly string...pretty disturbing at first, second it doesn't stick very well at all. I cleaned my pocket covers with denatured alcohol to remove any oil or other residue, then I gave the pocket covers two coats of silly string (it is so bad it looks like Spider Man webbed the covers to the cardboard I sat them on. I then applied the brand new leather and shaped it into the curves and it looked pretty good......waited 30 minutes and could pick up the leather right off the pocket cover.

I have glued leather and vinyl to plastic parts before using 3M 77 , this stuff is crap. BTW after reading online at Locktite's website it says to not get this wet or expose to high heat...WTH that is why I bought it in the first place. I called the toll free number and after selecting english and other menus I get a recording that they cannot take calls at this time...so steer clear of this stuff for your projects.

Dwight

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:44 AM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I like regular contact cement. It's easy to work with and can be peeled off without a lot of trouble once dry. I did my interior with it back in Jan or Feb and I garage park, so I'm not sure how it would hold up in the sun, but it's what most leather interiors are done with, including the 986.
No problems with mine so far.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:52 AM   #3

Pictured Product

This is what I am using to correct the problem caused by the Loctite product. Did you coat the leather and the pocket cover ? if so how many coats did you use ?
Old 07-02-2014, 10:30 AM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
One light to moderate coat on both the material and the panel, let tack up for 2-3 minutes
Old 07-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
One light to moderate coat on both the material and the panel, let tack up for 2-3 minutes
That is how I have always done it too....