986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   DIY Project Guides (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   single din flip up navigation (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52544)

dbansal 06-04-2014 07:49 AM

single din flip up navigation

Figured id post this in the DIY section as its probably more appropriate... but has anyone installed a single DIN flip up navigation unit? I'm looking for the easiest transition and double DIN is a bit too much of a hassle for me.

I have an 03 boxster base with no bose.

tommy583 06-04-2014 10:24 AM

I thought about doing one. But in the end i just went with a regular single din cd deck. The flip up screens I saw all looked kinda junky. I figure the nav on my phone works great, so why bother getting a junky nav deck. The cd deck does everything i could ever want besides nav. Much cheaper too.

RandallNeighbour 06-04-2014 10:39 AM

The motors in the flip up screens also crap out on you fairly quickly as well.

danch 06-04-2014 10:41 AM

Just go with a double din ;) , if I can fit one then anyone can ;)

dbansal 06-04-2014 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danch (Post 403997)
Just go with a double din ;) , if I can fit one then anyone can ;)

nah... hahaa

dbansal 06-05-2014 09:50 AM

No one else...seriously?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

clickman 08-16-2020 10:23 AM

Reviving this old thread. It's time for me to upgrade from my iPod Classic thru the CDR220. Too much squinting down at a tiny screen - usually unsuccessfully - while driving down the road. I'd like to go with the double DIN touchscreen but the idea of moving the HVAC controls back down to the bottom doesn't excite me (I moved it up when I scotched the factory cupholders). If I have to move the HVAC down, I'd much rather put it into the spot one up from the bottom, but I haven't found a way to do that.

So... has anyone a single DIN flip-out multimedia unit? The screen while out covers the HVAC, but maybe the temporary retraction is seamless while fiddling with the HVAC? Does it cover up much of the vent? What about the stability of the screen while extended? Any other feedback?

Thanks, Norm

PS I'd like to stick with my current amp and speaker arrangement (dash, door, rear); I have replaced my 4 channel amp with a 6 channel from a 996, and replaced the dash speakers when they crapped out.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1597602056.jpg

1PorscheBoxster986 08-17-2020 06:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't believe any 2x7 radio will fit into the lowest part of the bottom center console. It is simply too big to fit into that cubby area. I re-located my radio during a trial and uploaded a pic so you can see why it wouldn't fit.

The screen viewing angles will play another factor where you want to put it. You will need a unit that has custom viewing angle adjustment. You will also be dealing with glare from the light when your top is down at that placement position.

You should listen to the others in 2014 and move past the single DIN. These units cost more money than DDIN on average and will fail quickly over time. It is outdated for 2020 even for our Boxsters. The DDIN setup will give it a cleaner OEM look.

Attachment 22601

clickman 08-17-2020 09:43 AM

Thanks for the feedback but I'm a little confused by your answer. The only use for the 2nd-from-the-bottom position would be for the HVAC controls if I can figure out how to do that.

If I went with the single DIN it would go where the factory single DIN is now.

1PorscheBoxster986 08-17-2020 12:22 PM

I confused myself. My HVAC control is on the bottom as shown and I pictured my setup while reading your issue. I thought you wanted to install single DIN flip at the bottom bay while moving up the HVAC at the same time which to me made no sense :). There are several uses for the 3rd bay. CD storage tray, cassette tape storage (yes I know), storage cubby, HVAC, and temp gauges.

Your HVAC climate control is at the top bay from factory. You need to do pull the wiring harness down to the 3rd bay which shouldn't be too hard. Most with your setup want to bring it down to where I have it from factory. I heard that it was a very tight leash. By having the HVAC at the bottom bay it looks more uniform. It's like the two cubbies at the bottom like your setup or radio/cubby/cubby/hvac.

I suggest you remove the entire lower cubby storage. It's 5 mins total. Wear some gloves or your hands will be scuffed up.

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachments/996-forum/1029276-climate-control-relocation-mk1-img_3393-1-.jpg

Here's a thread that might help you with more pictures when jaykay did his relocation.

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/78248-hvac-radio-relocation-harness-route.html

azlvr 08-25-2020 04:53 PM

I put my HVAC in the 2nd from bottom location because I had a full leather cubby in bottom and didn't want to loose it plus HVAC is easier to adjust in that location. Sorry I don't remember exactly how I did it.

jaykay 08-25-2020 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1PorscheBoxster986 (Post 622764)
I confused myself. My HVAC control is on the bottom as shown and I pictured my setup while reading your issue. I thought you wanted to install single DIN flip at the bottom bay while moving up the HVAC at the same time which to me made no sense :). There are several uses for the 3rd bay. CD storage tray, cassette tape storage (yes I know), storage cubby, HVAC, and temp gauges.

Your HVAC climate control is at the top bay from factory. You need to do pull the wiring harness down to the 3rd bay which shouldn't be too hard. Most with your setup want to bring it down to where I have it from factory. I heard that it was a very tight leash. By having the HVAC at the bottom bay it looks more uniform. It's like the two cubbies at the bottom like your setup or radio/cubby/cubby/hvac.

I suggest you remove the entire lower cubby storage. It's 5 mins total. Wear some gloves or your hands will be scuffed up.

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachments/996-forum/1029276-climate-control-relocation-mk1-img_3393-1-.jpg

Here's a thread that might help you with more pictures when jaykay did his relocation.

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/78248-hvac-radio-relocation-harness-route.html

I did complete the move and have not posted the results....I ended up cheating by removing the psssenger side underside panel and hvac duct and then tried two different routes before I was able to get harness to reach. I used painters tape to smooth the connectors and harness to push it through the triangle of doooom. Unfortunately, I have to do a shoulder stand and reach up behind the radio to release the radio connectors for radio removal......not fun.

I ended up practicing yoga so that could I do this job...

I did mange to split loom everything though. Funny I am minus my sticky radio knobs as well nothing seems work on them..

1PorscheBoxster986 08-28-2020 08:41 PM

I'm glad you got it to work your way jaykay. For sticky knobs I follow Pedro's method with canned plasti dip I have around from another project. After a few attempts it came out good enough. I eventually sold that radio with no complaints.

I didn't do a great prep job cleaning which would of made the result better. You can try that method fixing radio keys. It's cheaper than buying new ones. You just dip it like a fondue and wait for it to dry.

My advice is wait until the knob fully cures before correcting any imperfections. You can always coat another layer. I didn't and it was partially dry so I had to use my hand to mold it and had to re-do it.