Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2014, 06:55 AM   #1

Which FX-R Projector ?

I am thinking about retro fitting a set of FX-R projectors in my 01 S , my question is which ones ? I see FX-R 2.5 and FX-R 3. Also can I make the entire thing self contained with no outside wiring....I see some who have added a relay and wiring and I wonder why with all that room in the light fixture ??

Also 35 W or 55W as I do most of my driving in the country and only on weekends....have a boring Honda CRV for daily use.

Thanks in advance
Dwight

Last edited by Pdwight; 04-21-2014 at 05:59 PM.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:57 AM   #2

Cool! If you meant the FX-R projectors, I have a pair here that I've used for prototyping onto. They are great projectors but perhaps not the best for the Porsche/Bosch reflector. They are too big and way too heavy (heavy cast, not sure what metal it is).

Also with those, the chance that you'll have clearance to finish them up with a bezel or any sort is very slim. Not only they won't fit inside the oem reflector, you won't be able to adjust your height up to spec (inspection fail straight away).

If you are the DIY type guy I'd recommend you to start with a set of Morimoto mini. They are something like $120 for a pair. Add a set of 35w ballasts $100 (55w is way too hot) and a set of good old Made-in-China "plastic" bezels for $40. The kit should run you close to $300 shipped.

Problem are the plastic bezels that you've seen already I'm sure. They seems to be cracking after only a few hundred hours of "heat" treatment and the chrome coating starts to flake off a little with time. Not dramatic for some, or when looked at from far, but perhaps just not 'perfect' for a Porsche car mate. Unless you don't mind changing the bezels every 2-3 years... or who knows you could well be lucky.

Look around the forum, sure there are far better products available for your Porsche car. Extremely durable (anodized, good for the rest of your car's life), doesn't hide itself inside a hollow headlight, and they are advertised at about the same price ($355 shipped).

They are almost plug & play, maybe not as fun as making your own tho
Old 04-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #3

I really want your set Nine8Six , I like the red ones with Porsche Motor Sports on them...problem is I am losing my job June 6 and I am spend very little nowadays. My plant is closing and 1200 people will be out of job soon....I hate this economy
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:08 AM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
I really want your set Nine8Six , I like the red ones with Porsche Motor Sports on them...problem is I am losing my job June 6 and I am spend very little nowadays. My plant is closing and 1200 people will be out of job soon....I hate this economy
I know the feeling...got laid off 2 months ago, so now I just play with cars all day