Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 06:51 PM   #1

Garage
Euromotorspeed Double DIN vs. Car Audio Innovations

I'm curious why more people are using EuroMotorSpeed kits as opposed to Car Audio Innovations. It seems that the car audio innovations kit comes with everything plus the top cubby. This part alone is typically $60 from what I've seen. Am I missing something here?

Thanks.

Tony

Old 03-12-2014, 07:24 PM   #2

Garage
Bump. Has anyone used the Car Audio Inovations kit? Seems like a fair price.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:07 PM   #3

I have used euro motor speed' skit and thought it was great. I actually just ordered another for my turbo.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:41 PM   #4

Garage
this weekend I installed a Parrot Asteroid Smart in my '01 Boxster S using the euro motor speed double din kit. I was very pleased with it. can't speak to the Car Audio kit since I have never used it.
it worked great for me. the cage fit well after some minor adjustment to the dash trim with a dremel tool. very solid fit, the trim piece fit perfectly around the head unit, replacing the trim that came with the unit and fit perfectly in the dash. at first I was concerned because there didn't seem to be any mechanism for securing the trim piece. no tabs that snapped into the cage etc... but it fits so tightly in the dash that it dozen't move at all.

Tip to anyone that doesn't know. there is a wire that connects to dash trim. you have to unplug it to get the dash trim out. it is part of the alarm system. basically when the factory head unit is pulled out, it makes contact and creates a short. if you replace the factory unit with an aftermarket, it will be in the short position and your alarm will not arm. doors will lock, but the alarm will not arm, depending on your model you will hear the horn chirp a few seconds after trying to arm the alarm. while researching this, I came across some "kits" to fix this issue, but basically all you need to do is leave that wire unplugged and make sure it can not touch metal and ground out.
kiyakubuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:08 PM   #5

Garage
Well, I pulled the trigger on the Car Audio Innovations kit. The main reason is that they are a Kenwood reseller, so the $199 kit included the Kenwood cage (as well as the upper cubby that I would have had to order). I have a JVC that uses the exact same cage, and Rod (owner) offered to make a custom bezel for the JVC. I can't wait till it gets here to see how the stereo, custom bezel, and the car will look together.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:06 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyakubuke View Post
this weekend I installed a Parrot Asteroid Smart in my '01 Boxster S using the euro motor speed double din kit. I was very pleased with it. can't speak to the Car Audio kit since I have never used it.
it worked great for me. the cage fit well after some minor adjustment to the dash trim with a dremel tool. very solid fit, the trim piece fit perfectly around the head unit, replacing the trim that came with the unit and fit perfectly in the dash. at first I was concerned because there didn't seem to be any mechanism for securing the trim piece. no tabs that snapped into the cage etc... but it fits so tightly in the dash that it dozen't move at all.

Tip to anyone that doesn't know. there is a wire that connects to dash trim. you have to unplug it to get the dash trim out. it is part of the alarm system. basically when the factory head unit is pulled out, it makes contact and creates a short. if you replace the factory unit with an aftermarket, it will be in the short position and your alarm will not arm. doors will lock, but the alarm will not arm, depending on your model you will hear the horn chirp a few seconds after trying to arm the alarm. while researching this, I came across some "kits" to fix this issue, but basically all you need to do is leave that wire unplugged and make sure it can not touch metal and ground out.
here is the end results:

Attached Images

kiyakubuke is offline   Reply With Quote