Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014, 04:27 PM   #1

Painted my Carpets

My red interior was faded to a dull pinkish color, and I was going to replace the carpet but that too is super expensive, so I researched and found that you can repaint the carpets with duplicolor fabric and vinyl paint.
So I tried it, and it looks great. The only draw back is it does make the carpet a little stiff feeling, but not bad.

Attached Images

jc986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:01 PM   #2

I can see the difference! It has a stronger hue now. Cool, cool.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:01 PM   #3

I think that looks great! I tried dyeing a grey carpet parcel shelf black and had very poor results with a water based dye. I then used the duplicolor spray and had much better results. Like you mentioned, it was a little stiff.....
Makes a huge difference on your car, nice.
jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:19 AM   #4

You get A+ for bravery. Glad it worked out for you.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:23 PM   #5
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
What color carpet paint did you use? I think it looks great! I have the same carpet color and would like to do this as well as the seats like you did in the other thread. Thanks.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
What color carpet paint did you use? I think it looks great! I have the same carpet color and would like to do this as well as the seats like you did in the other thread. Thanks.
tommy583,
I used dupli color red - if you're going to do the carpets, make sure you get their paint for Fabric And Vinyl. Also, extremely important to remove all oil and dirt from the carpets before painting - I vacuumed twice and then rubbed the carpets down with paper towels and rubbing alcohol - it will remove dirt and oil from your carpets. Once dry, you can paint, but keep a couple of things in mind. The paint will make your carpet feel a little more stiff than normal. The other thing is there are a lot of videos on youtube of guys painting carpets and they recommend rubbing it in with a brush - Don't. I tried a test spot under my seats first and the brush clumped up the wet carpet fibers and they stayed clumped and when dried it stayed that way. So I would recommend against it as the fibers in porsche carpet are very fine.
For the seats I got my stuff from leatherworldtech.com - I used their automotive chart to find my seat color by year (mine's a '97) boxster red - for me it matched perfectly, but another forum member told me he tried same website for his seats but the dye didn't quite match for him, so maybe consider having some place do a color match for your leather. For me, their boxster red dye worked fine and matched my seats without a problem.
Good luck, I'd be glad to help if you have any questions.
jc986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:26 PM   #7
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Thank you very much @jc986!
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:54 PM   #8

The leather doors look great without the airbags. I couldn't put my finger on exactly what was different for a moment.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:36 AM   #9

Clean, good job mate.
HolmaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:06 PM   #10
2000 986 & 1972 914

That looks incredible! I was thinking of doing the same to my wife's car, however, wanted to change from the faded out grey interior to a jet black. Do you think that product will work as well or should a dye be used?

Where abouts in Florida are you located if you don't mind me asking - I am in Miami.

Fern
martinef1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:42 PM   #11

Now that's worthy considering the effort. Speechless..... amazing results, well done.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:35 AM   #12

Great work, JC986! Well done.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinef1963 View Post
That looks incredible! I was thinking of doing the same to my wife's car, however, wanted to change from the faded out grey interior to a jet black. Do you think that product will work as well or should a dye be used?

Where abouts in Florida are you located if you don't mind me asking - I am in Miami.

Fern
Hi Fern,
It will color the carpets black but it does leave them feeling a bit stiff, not like the original softness. To me it doesn't matter that much because no one really ever gets in my car and checks to see how soft the carpet is, haha.
I don't know about the dyes or how well they work as I haven't tried them.
I'm on the west coast of Florida, in Naples.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post

Now that's worthy considering the effort. Speechless..... amazing results, well done.
Thank you Sir!