Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #1

HELP Opening Headlights

I'm trying to take apart my headlights and install new HID projectors but I haven't had any luck and I desperately need some help before I break something.

I've followed all the instructions I can find so far: baking for 10 min @ 225 and then trying to pry open the headlights. I've repeated this about 5 times now with no progress. I think the biggest issue I'm running into is that I don't know where I'm supposed to be prying. At the top of the headlight the only place I can see to pry is right against the headlight itself and I've been able to find some sort of a rubber/silicon gasket at the bottom but that doesn't seem to be doing anything either (see pictures). Can anyone please do a better job of describing where I should be prying and what should be happening when it's working?

Thanks in advance!

mayerstrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:13 PM   #2

Sorry guys, I ended up getting it to budge. Having an angled tool to really pry it up was what I needed. I'll post install pictures tomorrow once they're done.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #3

Garage
What tool did you use?
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
A flatbar or the claw of a hammer works well. Insert both claws into the gap between the housing and the lens at just above the fog light and apply side pressure to the handle, prying sideways with the claw. It's not a bad idea to use some thin wood shims between metal and plastic when working the lens loose.
Once a small section has worked loose, move the claw a few inches and repeat this process around as much of the lens as possible.

It's important to note that the lens' lip slides in straight into the housing (parallel with the car) and not on an upward angle.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:00 AM   #5

John, very sorry to hear about the trouble you are having man

After reading yours I've spent some time here on the local retrofitting forum (retrofitting headlight here is a HUGE sport) and asked the guys if there is any 'magic tool' available to open headlights and all. Most said "screwdriver + twisting + elbow grease" but one guy with a high reputation thrown the tool below and said this will get any type of headlight opened in 10secs.

That seems like "The Tool" one would need to get the job done in a flash. Particleware, you think this would be The Solution???

I've used the mentioned large flat head screwdriver & twisting/prying method. Maybe not the best recommendation tho, really don't know. After reading about your experience I think I will be making this tool available to those interested in the kit I got. Looks more accurate
Old 11-02-2013, 01:19 AM   #6

I'm not sure how you would describe the tool I ended up using. I'll post a picture when I post install pictures tomorrow. The biggest trick for me was understanding that I should pushing away the bottom piece more then you're pushing up the headlight unit. I also ended increasing the baking time at a lower temperature (20 min at 200F) based on another thread that I found.

The inside is all painted, just need to dremel the hole tomorrow, install the unit and then re-seal the headlights.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:42 AM   #7

I'd like to see that tool please, yes.

Also, keep in mind what I've email you previously.

The provided spacer is 38mm in length (between the projector and the reflector). Once you aim your headlights (e.g. 25' from the wall, 3"below the line), the bezel's top edge will stand 1mm away from the lens. You have to be very careful when aiming the headlight beam vertically with that Porsche HEX tool, if you lift it too high the bezel's top edge will touch the lens and potentially leave a mark on it. SO GO SLOW!

To prevent any mistakes, unscrew the spacer from the projector and file/grind it shorter down to 33mm in length. The bezel's top edge will be 4mm away from the lens. Much safer but then visually it won't be as nice e.g. it will tuck itself inside the headlight and you won't see the bezel's features as much

I provide the spacer in 38mm length just so you can have the option. Mine are at 38mm (as provided) with a 1mm space between the lens and the bezel, aimed at 25' and sitting 3" below the horizontal line. It's perfect!
Old 11-02-2013, 02:00 AM   #8

Visually, in case my Frenchglish is not good enough

The rest of the job is quite elementary and quite frankly unchallenging!

Can't wait to see those mate
Old 11-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Those look like they would be helpful, but it looks like a 2:1 leverage ratio...I wonder if that would be enough?