Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2014, 06:10 AM   #161

I am confused? Is your HVAC at the bottom now? You shouldn't have to order anything if you are installing an iPad mini. Your car has 4 DIN slots. The top two will be occupied by the iPad, the third by the radio and the fourth by the HVAC.

2010 CBR1000RR- Sold
Wilson01S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:12 PM   #162

I'm going the route as sneakfe's setup. I dig the look of the enclosed iPad but I use my iPad too much. That being said if I ever get a 2nd iPad I may go ahead and do the enclosed method. Until my new panel comes in from Pelican Parts I'm using the one from down below. You can see the gaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson01S View Post
I am confused? Is your HVAC at the bottom now? You shouldn't have to order anything if you are installing an iPad mini. Your car has 4 DIN slots. The top two will be occupied by the iPad, the third by the radio and the fourth by the HVAC.

Last edited by Cebu; 10-13-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Cebu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 01:10 PM   #163

Garage
Christmas present to myself

I added DashCommand to the Boxstar using a $39 7" tablet from WM Black Friday sale and the OBDLink Bluetooth transmitter. I took the storage bins out and the tablet fit right in. I need to fabricate a plastic spacer for the bottom. I hope I don't wreck watching all the flashing lights and numbers.
davedeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:26 PM   #164

iL-BKR Apple Lightning Adapter for select Becker AUX Ready Radios

Have any successfully powered (switched power) an iPad using the AUX port on the 986 Becker? Will it keep it charged? This cable is available:

iL-BKR Apple Lightning Adapter for select Becker AUX Ready Radios

Last edited by jaykay; 12-03-2018 at 07:37 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:47 PM   #165

Garage
When I did my original install, I was using the IP-BKR2 and then a 30 pin to lightning adapter from the CDR-220. I see Discount Stereo now has a iL-BKR Apple Lightning Adapter. With this set up, the iPad charged even when the ignition was off which was great. My current set up is a Pioneer and it does not have continuous power so I have to remove the mini once in awhile to charge it up.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:29 AM   #166

Thank you; good information! I would think that a constant charge would kill your battery, but I can certainly see the advantages. I would have thought that the power to the aux port would die if the radio is switched off.....but then thinking about it the old CD changer is always live when you go to eject the magazine.

I think the ideal solution is to have a dash mounted switch to select charge or no charge; splicing a switch in the cable. Doing this with properly with a 986 momentary contact switch seems a bit messy....

How did you get it to wake and sleep via tap or gestures on the screen? I see no good option other than to jailbreak and and hack it.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:26 AM   #167

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Thank you; good information! I would think that a constant charge would kill your battery, but I can certainly see the advantages. I would have thought that the power to the aux port would die if the radio is switched off.....but then thinking about it the old CD changer is always live when you go to eject the magazine.

I think the ideal solution is to have a dash mounted switch to select charge or no charge; splicing a switch in the cable. Doing this with properly with a 986 momentary contact switch seems a bit messy....

How did you get it to wake and sleep via tap or gestures on the screen? I see no good option other than to jailbreak and and hack it.
The charge is not that big of a draw, I never had an issue with the battery and it is much more convenient. Touch ID works to turn it on. To turn off, you add a little White dot to the screen which will allow you to lock the screen. Here are the instructions:

How to Add Touchscreen Home Button on iPhone, iPad
Open Settings.
Go to General > Accessibility.
Scroll down to the section labeled INTERACTION and tap on AssistiveTouch.
On the next screen, toggle AssistiveTouch to the green On position.
A white circle with a grey box will appear on screen. Tap this circle to expand it to a big box on screen.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 12-09-2018, 01:27 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
The charge is not that big of a draw, I never had an issue with the battery and it is much more convenient. Touch ID works to turn it on. To turn off, you add a little White dot to the screen which will allow you to lock the screen. Here are the instructions:

How to Add Touchscreen Home Button on iPhone, iPad
Open Settings.
Go to General > Accessibility.
Scroll down to the section labeled INTERACTION and tap on AssistiveTouch.
On the next screen, toggle AssistiveTouch to the green On position.
A white circle with a grey box will appear on screen. Tap this circle to expand it to a big box on screen.
Yes very good I have that set up.... but to actually waking a dark screen with a covered home button (for touch id) is what I was going on about (or even turn it on or off). Did you leave your home button exposed in your installation? The accessibility feature settings don't appear to address this. I think the circle will take of locking and power down. It is good to be able to put the thing to sleep when you don't want to look at it. I try to stay away from looking at screens as much as possible...so its good to be able to kill screens in a car.

......guess that is why I drive old cars

Last edited by jaykay; 12-09-2018 at 01:33 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:04 AM   #169

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Yes very good I have that set up.... but to actually waking a dark screen with a covered home button (for touch id) is what I was going on about (or even turn it on or off). Did you leave your home button exposed in your installation? The accessibility feature settings don't appear to address this. I think the circle will take of locking and power down. It is good to be able to put the thing to sleep when you don't want to look at it. I try to stay away from looking at screens as much as possible...so its good to be able to kill screens in a car.

......guess that is why I drive old cars
My Home Button is about 2/3 exposed so there is enough exposed to get a fingerprint ID. I don’t have a good idea on what to do if the button isn’t exposed.

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights