Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #1

Remove factory cupholders?

Is there a replacement item for the factory cup holders? They're obviously not very practical, and I can't even fit a good sized coffee in them.

Can it be removed and replaced with an extra storage bin or anything else to increase function but keep a stock appearance?

afpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #2

I want to do the same thing-I've read our options are to go with a double din head unit which requires deleting the cup holders or you can relocate your climate controls to where the cup holders are and run two storage bins down below, both of my cup holders are broken so I'm thinking of replacing my head unit. 2 birds one stone
oc-boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:54 AM   #3
Homeboy981

Garage
Every few months this question pops up. Always happy to provide a solution that has helped me.

A couple points:
1). Factory cup holders are junk, sell them on ebay. They spill all over expensive components.
2). Given all the G forces this car creates (with the help of your right foot), you are better served having cup holder on or near the floor.
3). You WILL LOVE a 2 DIN unit with NAV & it feels like your car is more relevant an newer. With the NAV you concentrate on driving - not HOW TO get there.

Solution:
1&2). I went to Wally World and bought 4 plastic black cup holders for $1. It took me breaking one to get the bend just right. Located on passenger side between floor and console. TIP: The console holds it on there. Locate the "tab" from the cup holder in-between the two and it rests nicely on the floor.
3). I upgraded all the speakers, added a few too, and installed an amp and head unit. After I sold all my factory stuff on ebay, I had a NET COST of about $300! I got wild prices for the used stuff - head unit, factory POS amp, even speakers! One guy wanted the door baffles too!

Here is the old:

This is the new*:

* See the giant cup? I race around with that cup full and it does not move, who cares if it drips there and it has been tested at speed!

Here is the new head unit (TIP: this model comes with FREE traffic updates, Built-in HD Radio at NO CHARGE, memory stick that will have you tossing the CDs! Mine can hold 9 days worth of music AND video too! It is sick to watch a movie going down the road! No wonder all these mini vans wander!
Old 02-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #4

Garage
Hey homeboy, you probably covered this in another post but how did you get the aluminum look in the interior? Paint or a kit?
davedeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy981 View Post
It is sick to watch a movie going down the road![/img]
You're right, that is sick.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:14 AM   #6

Here's another approach to dealing with the useless cupholders and CD holder:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/32114-relocate-climate-control-panell.html

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/29177-cup-holders-cd-rack.html

Here's the cupholder I use:

http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/

Last edited by clickman; 03-02-2013 at 12:04 PM.
clickman is offline   Reply With Quote