Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #1

Garage
Intake scoop damage

My Passenger intake scoop that shrouds the AC condenser and radiator was damaged. I was able to "stitch" together the several cracks but a piece the size of my thumb is missing. What is the hard black material so I can make a piece to fit in the hole and "stitch" it to the shroud?

rem503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #2

I would just replace the whole thing....I had the same kind of damage. I dont remember them being very expensive???
Old 12-12-2012, 03:06 AM   #3
Homeboy981

Garage
Fiberglass and bondo are your friends in this case. However, I would agree with @JayKay, just replace it - not worth the time and materials.

Or, you could make an additional air scoop out of it! Embrace your dents and scratches!
Old 12-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #4

Garage
I solved my own problem. I went to the hardware store and bought a black 2" plastic plumbing pipe coupler for $1.50. I cut the pipe in half and flattened a section using a propane torch. I then cut out the shape piece I needed and stitched it into place with the soldering iron. It's looks as good as the other stitched cracks and it seems to be solid.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #5

Garage
I replaced the AC condensor and radiator shrouds today and reinstalled the front bumper cover. I used the aluminum gutter guard (painted black) from Lowes and tie wrapped it to the back of the intake covers. I think it turned out pretty good. It has to help keep out all the leaves, bugs and cigarette butts from the radiators. We'll see how it holds up.

Last edited by rem503; 01-14-2013 at 04:03 PM.