Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #1

Garage
DIY - LED DRLs

Just completed a DRL install on my ’03 S. 8 LED kit came from LED Lights, Bulbs & Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS ($25) and wiring harness and relay from ebay ($25).

1. Open the front trunk and remove the four plastic fasteners (as shown) and remove the cover.

2. Pull back the trim in the front trunk and using the hex tool from the tool kit, loosen each headlight and slide each head light forward to expose the opening below each headlight. No need to totally remove the headlights.

3. Take the + and – wires for the right DRL and thread them down into the opening below the right headlight and out through the top of the gasket just above the right lower air duct.

4. Clean the location where you want to affix the DRL and then attach it using double sided tape.

5. Repeat for the other side.

6. Connect the + and – wires from the harness to the + and – leads on each DRL. Pull the excess wire up back through the opening towards the headlight.

7. Pull up on the rubber insulation along each side of the trunk , place the wires under the trim, and push it back into place.

8. Remove the plastic battery cover, cabin air filter cover, and driver’ side cover. Route the wiring and place the relay in your location of choice. I put the relay in the space below the driver’s side cover. Using zip ties, tidy-up any excess wiring.

9. Connect the + lead from relay to battery and connect the – lead from relay to battery or another ground. The DRLs should illuminate for about 5 seconds and go out. There is a yellow lead that you can connect to your headlight harness so the DRLs go out when the headlights come on, but I wanted my DRLs on whenever the engine is running so I did not connect the yellow lead.

10. Reinstall the battery cover, cabin air filter cover and driver’s side cover. Reinstall the headlights. Reinstall the plastic cover with the four plastic fasteners.

11. Close the hood, start the car and enjoy the DRLs.

Steve03986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #2

Garage
Hi Steve. Thanks for the detailed instructions. I've been thinking about doing this myself to increase the visibility of the car without having to switch on the headlights all the time.
What worries me a bit is that these LED's consume less than a Watt (0.72W) which doesn't give you much intensity. Why didn't you go for the $50 ones that give you 10 Watt, i.e. much higher brightness?
nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:40 AM   #3

Garage
These are pretty bright for DRLs. Last night, the car was parked outside and while moving into the garage, the DRLs illuminated things well enough to not use the headlights (I am not suggesting to substitute DRLs for headlights at night). Back to your question, I don't know know if power consumption in watts directly relates to lumens. Maybe someone more knowledgable can comment.
Steve03986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:11 AM   #4

Since these are for visibility/style during the daytime and they are mounted low and somewhat recessed against a dark background there is no need for them to have a higher wattage since they are in no way meant to illuminate the roadway.

Un-filtered Led strips are not good for illumination for driving because the light they radiate is too intense and tends to blind oncomming traffic at the intensities you would need to use them as headlights.
They do have LED "Bulbs" though that have been tuned/filtered to perform well as headlights but thats not what the typical LED strips use.

Blind oncomming drivers kinda defeats the whole purpose don't you think?

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 10-17-2012 at 06:15 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote