Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #21
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Come on, man! You're killing me...

Oh, wait; you probably have to do that whole "work" thing.
Screw it! Call in! This is clearly more important.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MConte05 View Post
How is the lag between screens? That is one of the negative things I read about these units. I like the menu style better than most of the major brands out there.
I did not notice any lag but I'll video going through all the screens now that I understand it after playing with it a bit.

Continuing my install in a few minutes.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Come on, man! You're killing me...

Oh, wait; you probably have to do that whole "work" thing.
Screw it! Call in! This is clearly more important.
I had thursday/friday off for vacation i had booked.

I was going to go flying on a 400 mile fly-in trip but weather killed the trip so I ordered the unit on Monday this week so that I could spend thursday on installing it.

Timed perfectly.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
Old 07-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus117 View Post
Easiest way to run the camera cable is under the carpet on the rear shelf and the black foam water channel with the roof in the service position. Take the carpet out in the rear trunk and look at the bulkhead you will see a perfect sized hole to run the cable through. I drilled a hole near the license plate, put the spoiler up, fed a piece of string through the hole I just drilled and hooked it from the spoiler with a piece of wire and pulled up the camera cable. There is a grommet you can use to get the wire into the trunk which is accessed inside the trunk. One thing, the trunk floor does get pretty hot where I fed the cables so put your RCA connector somewhere cool as I had trouble with mine. The positive wire to the reversing light is permanently live which was good (if not a bit confusing).
Mine is the 2003 model with the lousy MOST system, I removed the lot and got a good price on fleabay. Front and rear speakers I connected to the head unit speaker connections and an RCA plugged into the subwoofer output and out into the battery bay just above the pedals. This runs to an Alpine amp where the Porsche amplifier and multi-changer were, this then feeds back the the subs in the doors. I had alternator whine at first but this configuration got rid of it.
Good luck.
That will help a lot routing the camera wire as I had no idea how to get it to the plate area.

Much appreciated....thanks

OK, now I'm going back out to continue the job.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #25

... anxiety is killing me!
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #26
Custom User Title Here

Garage
24 hours? Could have installed it 5 times by now, lol!!!
Old 07-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #27
Vista glass

Garage
This looks like something I can and will do as well. Thanks for the details
Vista glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:05 PM   #28

Sorry I have not posted more plus a video I took but I got busy with other stuff.

I took a few minutes this morning and tested all the wires in the radio Harness and discovered where they need to go.

Everything is working and I discovered that since I had the Amp and 6 CD changer in the frunk I had to wire the speaker wires to the yellow connector block in the car and it will not work without my Equalizer plugged in.

I will try without the CD Changer conected, only the Amp and see if that works.

The good news is that I think I will be able to simply push the connected Equalizer panel into the tray slot and with slight modification push the tray in the slot with the EQ panel behind it.

Next thing now that the wiring is sorted out, is to make a tray or bracket to hold the radio securely in place.

I'll see about posting my progress and video from Friday in the morning.

Last edited by jb92563; 07-14-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:08 PM   #29

If I were you, I would remove the equaliser and wire up the speakers direct to the unit and the subs via an amplifier. The front speakers are straightforward enough to just rewire as they are already on the dash. The rear speakers go around the back of the stereo anyway. Do you have subs in the doors or in the rear? Sure there will be a wiring diagram somewhere to show how the equaliser is wired and where to pick up any speaker cables you cant find.
If it's not doing anything useful, take it out and sell it.
Nimbus117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:06 AM   #30

Garage
The Double-Din install has been documented several times on this board, one of our members (trieullionaire) has even created a DD installation kit/wiring harness and has it listed on eBay.
97-02 PORSCHE 986 BOXSTER DOUBLE DIN INSTALLATION KIT | eBay

boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #31
Custom User Title Here

Garage
For this particular unit?
Old 07-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
For this particular unit?
+1

I wonder that myself. Seems like the Ebay kits for are for the Pioneers, Kenwoods, etc.

I wonder if they fit these generic, Chinese units.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #33

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforrest2 View Post
+1

I wonder that myself. Seems like the Ebay kits for are for the Pioneers, Kenwoods, etc.

I wonder if they fit these generic, Chinese units.

Well to install a DD unit into the Boxster you will need all the parts in the kit, only variable would be the wiring harness.

On the AVIC I installed and used the kit with measurments of:
Width = 177.8mm
Depth = 155.575
Height = 98.425

The kit also comes with step by step instructions with photo's stepping you through the various steps like triming the plastic center suround to install the DD unit.

Not trying to rain on anyones post, just pointing out what was posted in the past and maybe the OP could take information from it to assist him with his, he can search AVIC on this site as everyone at the time was installing the AVIC DD models at the time.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #34

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster6354 View Post
Well to install a DD unit into the Boxster you will need all the parts in the kit, only variable would be the wiring harness.

On the AVIC I installed and used the kit with measurments of:
Width = 177.8mm
Depth = 155.575
Height = 98.425

The kit also comes with step by step instructions with photo's stepping you through the various steps like triming the plastic center suround to install the DD unit.

Not trying to rain on anyones post, just pointing out what was posted in the past and maybe the OP could take information from it to assist him with his, he can search AVIC on this site as everyone at the time was installing the AVIC DD models at the time.

I think U R missing a point of this post
I can install a toaster in this spot if I want to and don't need the DIY for it

We R all interested in this specific, generic unit at third of the price of Avicenna etc.
It is nice to see if it is worth the cash they want 4 it
At least that's why I'm subscribed to this one

Happy speeding
golonaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:39 AM   #35

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by golonaus View Post
I think U R missing a point of this post
I can install a toaster in this spot if I want to and don't need the DIY for it

We R all interested in this specific, generic unit at third of the price of Avicenna etc.
It is nice to see if it is worth the cash they want 4 it
At least that's why I'm subscribed to this one

Happy speeding

I do not think I am the one missing the point, it appears you are my friend as the title of the post is "Dual DIN 7" Touch screen radio install" the OP is talking of creating a DIY for the Install of the unit and others are talking about the install and routing of wires.

Appears you were lurking to find out not if but when the China knock off head unit causes a dash electrical fire in his car.

I am sure in some fashion you can place a toaster in that spot and would not need a DIY to do it, my question would be why you would want to?

Again sure you can buy knock-off brake pads, rotors, motor mounts. electrical and other such parts from China off of eBay for a fraction of the cost with inferior ratings but why would you put those in a Porsche?

Just my opinion, it is your ride and do so as makes you happy

Old 07-17-2012, 07:23 AM   #36
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster6354 View Post
I do not think I am the one missing the point, it appears you are my friend as the title of the post is "Dual DIN 7" Touch screen radio install" the OP is talking of creating a DIY for the Install of the unit and others are talking about the install and routing of wires.

Appears you were lurking to find out not if but when the China knock off head unit causes a dash electrical fire in his car.

I am sure in some fashion you can place a toaster in that spot and would not need a DIY to do it, my question would be why you would want to?

Again sure you can buy knock-off brake pads, rotors, motor mounts. electrical and other such parts from China off of eBay for a fraction of the cost with inferior ratings but why would you put those in a Porsche?

Just my opinion, it is your ride and do so as makes you happy

I use to think that, but this is a Porsche, really there is no kenwood or pioneer or sony that is worthy IMHO. So I would like a completely debadged stereo if possible

Also there is no reason why a generic stereo can't be as good as the name brands in 2012. It's just a touchscreen that plays music and DVDs, you don't need 8 core processors and 32gb ram for that.

Besides kenwood and pioneer and sony are all made in china anyway, this could be the same unit just without the Name attached to it

I do not care about Gps in a stereo, nothing can be as good as my iphone that gives me real time traffic and police speed trap locations
986_inquiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:27 AM   #37
2006 987

Garage
Please post a video when you can. As someone mentioned the biggest problem with generic stereos is te speed at which they change functions so I'm very curious to see how well it changes from radio to sd card music to DVD to gps to etc
Old 07-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #38

OK folks the much anticipated videos are here:

Menus
7" dual din Radio navigator etc Chinese No-label Brand - YouTube

Some Music
CIMG3440 - YouTube

My Impressions so far:

-Everything works fine although I have not started customizing menus and such to see the extent of its hackability to enhance and customize it.

-I noticed the USB menu when playing songs lists the Artists name but not the song name. In the quick list there is some Chinese text in the view so the menu software needs an update perhaps (Not sure if that is possible, but its a minor nuisance).

-No menu lag and the resolution is great, no complaints.

-Multitasking Navigation and music/video etc is great with PIP as well

-All the option to hookup electronics either through BlueTooth or wires is great.

I have not figured out if the speaker connections need to go to the seperate speaker wires or the Audio Line In phono jacks.

I have tried the speaker wires and I pick up some alternator whine that you can hear when the music is off, so I will switch to the shielded Audio Line In phono plugs.

I have yet to figure out a mount rack but have some ideas, for now I wedged in some towels to hold things in place so I can drive around with it.

I found that the system will NOT work without my Equalizer so I just preset it and it fits behind the shelf tray if you make a slight mod on the back of the tray;

It is easy to pull the tray and change the setting this way if they need a change.

Saw out a little triangle of plastic on both sides of the shelf and the Equalizer will fit behind it.

PS: The 6 CD Changer can be unplugged and everything still works, but do remember to remove your CD's before removing it.....oooops.

Last edited by jb92563; 07-17-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus117 View Post
If I were you, I would remove the equaliser and wire up the speakers direct to the unit and the subs via an amplifier. The front speakers are straightforward enough to just rewire as they are already on the dash. The rear speakers go around the back of the stereo anyway. Do you have subs in the doors or in the rear? Sure there will be a wiring diagram somewhere to show how the equaliser is wired and where to pick up any speaker cables you cant find.
If it's not doing anything useful, take it out and sell it.
The speaker wires on the yellow plug will not work without the amp installed.

For those without an amp, there is supposedly a Brown connector to connect direct to the speakers, but I could not find that plug on mine to try it.

Also the sound going through the Equalizer can be customized to your taste if you have it (I mean EQ not Taste) may as well use it.

Where might that brown plug be hiding on a factory Amp install, hope they did not have a special wiring harness that omits it.

I also discovered that I apparently have 6 speakers, 2 dash, 2 door and 2 behind the seats. Seems like perhaps the Dash/Door are treated like a single Front and the rear behind the seat is the Rear speaker.

Also since I had the battery disconnected numerous times during the process things started working, like my car key locker flashes the tail lights twice as usual and gives the horn a short toot (Did not toot before)

Last edited by jb92563; 07-17-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #40
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
OK folks the much anticipated videos are here:

Menus
7" dual din Radio navigator etc Chinese No-label Brand - YouTube

Some Music
CIMG3440 - YouTube

My Impressions so far:

-Everything works fine although I have not started customizing menus and such to see the extent of its hackability to enhance and customize it.

-I noticed the USB menu when playing songs lists the Artists name but not the song name. In the quick list there is some Chinese text in the view so the menu software needs an update perhaps (Not sure if that is possible, but its a minor nuisance).

-No menu lag and the resolution is great, no complaints.

-Multitasking Navigation and music/video etc is great with PIP as well

-All the option to hookup electronics either through BlueTooth or wires is great.

I have not figured out if the speaker connections need to go to the seperate speaker wires or the Audio Line In phono jacks.

I have tried the speaker wires and I pick up some alternator whine that you can hear when the music is off, so I will switch to the shielded Audio Line In phono plugs.

I have yet to figure out a mount rack but have some ideas, for now I wedged in some towels to hold things in place so I can drive around with it.

I found that the system will NOT work without my Equalizer so I just preset it and it fits behind the shelf tray if you make a slight mod on the back of the tray;

It is easy to pull the tray and change the setting this way if they need a change.

Saw out a little triangle of plastic on both sides of the shelf and the Equalizer will fit behind it.

PS: The 6 CD Changer can be unplugged and everything still works, but do remember to remove your CD's before removing it.....oooops.
No mount rack? Did you not buy the porsche mounting kit off ebay?

What is this EQ you keep talking about? Was that an option with our cars? All I have is the cdr210 and the little black amp in the frunk. Apparently my cdr210 can't play burnt cdrs so I've been stuck with radio only I've considered a radio transmitter and iPod or something but that seems... too ghetto, for a Porsche

So far everything sounds good, I'll check the videos later