Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #1

Pedro's Gauges Install help

I am trying to install a fuel pressure sensor from Pedro's Techno Gauges and am having an issue of where to place the pressure sensor. I looked alone the fuel rail and found a place that looks like where it should go but it is meant for a different type of fuel pressure reader (porsche special tool 9559 or something) any help with this would be appreciated.

*Edit* Also any help with the wiring would be great as well. Because of the $$$ and enjoyment of working on the car I would rather do it myself than have it installed at the indy shop. TIA

Last edited by coolbreeze551; 05-19-2012 at 04:45 PM.
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #2

I know where to place it along the fuel rail but don't know where to get the appropriate coupling/adaptor for the pressure gauge to fuel rail. It looks similar to a bicycle valve on the fuel rail if that helps anyone?
Old 06-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #3

See the supercharger install thread, there's a picture of where to tap into it. Is it mechanical or electric?
Old 06-04-2012, 10:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioboxster View Post
See the supercharger install thread, there's a picture of where to tap into it. Is it mechanical or electric?
It's electric. I found where you tap into the schrader valve on the fuel rail (at least I think that's where I will double check with that supercharger thread) but there wasn't an adapter that came with the kit which was frustrating and apparently there is only one company in North America that makes a female to female adapter in with 1/8 to 1/16 which is what I need. I spoke with someone at the dealership about removing the actual schrader valve to allow an adapter to twist into it's place and allow the sensor to be screwed onto it. That part is easier to come by but when try to unscrew the schrader valve proved nearly impossible because of the location and lack of space and without specific tools I was unable to do so from where I was. Perhaps it is possible or a lot easier with specific tools but I was too worried about crushing the threads and not being able to get the cap back on after if I couldn't get it off so I just left it and ordered the part. I am still waiting to receive it.

I looked into my options such as getting different parts and making my own adapter or even making a connection via schrader to hose to sensor but that proved to be even more difficult. Another option was ordering the fuel pressure tester hose directly from Porsche (there are two different ones) which starts at $150... For a 12" hose with a couple brass connections on the end. I know Porsche parts are expensive but that is laughable. The cheapest I found was on ebay but they were still $80 + shipping. I ordered the $15 female to female connector, had it shipped USPS and am just waiting for it to arrive.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:12 AM   #5

Now I have finally got it all installed but it seems to be reading a little high at 60 psi. The bentley says it is suppose to be about 45-51 psi at idle. Can anyone suggest why it might be reading high?
Old 07-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #6

Had a vacuum leak thanks to the old oil filler hose as well as leaking coolant hoses and reservoir. Once that was fixed the acceleration and power seem to be much better however my fuel psi is getting higher sometimes sitting at 70 psi and seems to be pretty rapid. When I get to a cruising speed it drops back to 60 psi, which from what I have read seems to be too high as well. The only time I really notice there is an issue is when I come to a stop my idle drops down and it seems (possibly the fuel pressure regulator) that something compensates and the fuel pressure increases and the RPM's try to even out. There is a strong fuel smell on start up as well as when the car is off sometimes which leads me to believe it could be the fuel pressure regulator or one of the injectors is leaking along the fuel rail. Although it could be a few things, fuel pump/relay, fuel pressure regulator, another leak someone else like the coils. Very tough to diagnose without a smoke machine and that's $350 to have done at the indy shop. I am open to suggestions and recommendations from other members.

Last edited by coolbreeze551; 07-20-2012 at 08:16 AM.