Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 06:21 AM   #1

Airbag light - permanent fix

I realize that the forum has been over this, but cannot find the answer. 97 Boxster with airbag light on. I have the Durametric cable and software and can turn it off for a while, but I want that sucker off for good.
Can someone give me the link to the TSB for fixing it, as well as the part numbers. I saw them somewhere but cannot find them now. Thanks

rsiferd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:33 AM   #2

Most common problem is the drivers seatbelt buckle.
You can clean up the contacts & reset the code.
A more permanent fix is wiring in an updated buckle and harness with corrosion resistant contacts: Seat Belt Buckle:Porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment - Cayman Panamera Cayenn
Old 05-17-2012, 07:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsiferd View Post
I realize that the forum has been over this, but cannot find the answer. 97 Boxster with airbag light on. I have the Durametric cable and software and can turn it off for a while, but I want that sucker off for good.
Can someone give me the link to the TSB for fixing it, as well as the part numbers. I saw them somewhere but cannot find them now. Thanks
Here is a summary of the fix that I had written up from the TSB a couple of years ago:

The TSB is dated 6/99 and is TSB number 6924.

There is a "belt buckle service kit" which contains all the needed parts for the fix and that kit is part number 000 043 204 32.

If you are a contributing member on RennTech.org, you can access the TSB's.

When diagnosing Airbag Warning Lamp on and the fault codes are DTC 44, 45, 46, or 50 Drivers side and/or DTC 47, 48, 49, or 51 Passenger side, the faults may be caused by poor connection at pins B7 and B8 of plug connections X16 and X17. The wiring connections have been corrected as of VIN WPOCA2983WS620157 and the belt buckles as of VIN WPOCA298XWS620138.

The latest Porsche fix involves replacing both seat belt buckles, splicing and soldering in four leads with "gold plated and greased" contact springs and substituting them for four of the original contact springs in the 8-pin connector under the driver's (left) side seat (positions B5, B6, B7, & B8), doing the same but with only two contact springs on the 8-pin connector under the passenger's (right) side seat (positions B7 & B8), and then splicing and soldering beefier leads with cable lugs in place of thinner leads all leading to a ground point under each seat.

After that, you must substitute new plug caps on the the 8-pin connectors, which now include a tab that is used to securely fasten all of the wires exiting the 8-pin connectors with cable ties, and add cable ties to the female 8-pin connectors on the undersides of the seats and you are almost done.
Again, it's a straightforward job once you decipher the descriptions and language in the TSB, which is a special chore in itself.

Then you have to reset the airbag light with your Durametric, PST2 or PIWIS and that provides a "permanent" fix.

Not doing both seats (regardless of the specific codes) is just putting off the inevitable, IMHO.

Total cost was about $170, and, contrary to the TSB, no special Porsche tool needed (just an adapted $5 terminal extractor).

Regards, Maurice.

Last edited by schoir; 05-17-2012 at 07:38 AM. Reason: spacing for more clarity
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airbag light; seatbelt