Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
JNC

Angry Making DEPO Brake and Fog LED Lights Work Together For Braking

I'm trying to mod my DEPO tail lights such that both the Brake LEDs and Fog LEDs work together only when braking.

When both LEDs are connected via modified wiring to the male bulb wires (no resistor installed), only the brake LEDs work. If I connect either the Brake LEDs OR Fog LEDs separately, they both work separately.

What's really weird is if I connect both the brake LEDs and the Fog LEDS all back together again and only the Brake LEDs come on as before; if I disconnect one of the Fog LEDs wire (still not working), then reconnect the Fog LEDs wire back to the Brake LEDs wire again, then both the Brake and Fog LEDs work together. With power still on and both LEDs still working, if I turn off the ignition switch, then turn it back on, only the Brake LEDs comes back on (back to square one).

I tried installing a resistor (25W, 6.2 Ohms) between all red and black wires inside of the DEPO taillight, neither the Brake LEDs or Fog LEDs work, but the resistor heats up as it should.

Maybe I'm using the wrong resistor or installing it incorrectly as I feel it must be a voltage or amperage problem since when power is continuously applied without turning the ignition on and back off, both LEDs work together only when I connect then reconnect the wires together. Maybe turning the ignition on and off spikes the power load required to power both LEDs and allows only the Brake LEDs to come on?

I considered wiring the Fog LEDs to the 3rd brake light, but was afraid my cruise control would stop working as they use the same fuse (B7), as I've read on here.

Suggestions?

Last edited by JNC; 04-12-2012 at 01:23 PM. Reason: typo
JNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #2

I somewhat had the same problem. When brake light and fog light were connected together, the fog would not turn on. I got somebody else to press the brake pedal for me. When they would press the brake it in quick succession, the fog would turn on on the second "pumping" of the brake. If press in quick succession, they will turn on but if you wait a while to re press the brake pedal, they would not. I ended up giving up and decided might have been super bright for break lights.
xtremecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
JNC

There have ben several posts on how to make these DEPO lights work, but none that I've found that address my specific problem????
Old 04-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I'm not familiar with these, aside from what I've read here. My guess would be that the brake and/or the fog leds have a resistor to keep them from burning out to fast. Most likely, they are not getting enough power to light both, probably because of the resistor. Does the unit have internal power regulation circuitry, or just resistors?

Any pics? Hard to guess whats going on electrically, but this can work if the circuit is correct. I cant even find a decent picture of the wiring, not to mention the actual leds and any components.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
JNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
I'm not familiar with these, aside from what I've read here. My guess would be that the brake and/or the fog leds have a resistor to keep them from burning out to fast. Most likely, they are not getting enough power to light both, probably because of the resistor. Does the unit have internal power regulation circuitry, or just resistors?

Any pics? Hard to guess whats going on electrically, but this can work if the circuit is correct. I cant even find a decent picture of the wiring, not to mention the actual leds and any components.
Was my understanding that resistors needed to be installed?? But I agree, apparently both LEDs require too power to operate both as brake lights, since if the fog LEDs were wired to the 3rd brake light, problems with cruise control were encountered (as both share same fuse (B7).....
Old 04-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Do you have an ammeter? DVMM?

I plan to get a set of these this summer and will get it working and post a diy. Until then, there aren't enough details on the circuit to even begin to guess whats going on. I found a better picture of the wiring, but it doesn't show whats going on inside.
Are all of the leds just wired to the male bulb connector without their own resistors? Are the individual leds wired together in series or parallel(should be parallel, I think)?

From your description, sounds like you tried the 25w resistor in parallel...maybe try it in series?
Same with the led banks...are you wiring them in series or parallel?
Just shooting blind here, but I promise you that it can work.

Last edited by particlewave; 04-15-2012 at 08:46 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
JNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Do you have an ammeter? DVMM?

I plan to get a set of these this summer and will get it working and post a diy. Until then, there aren't enough details on the circuit to even begin to guess whats going on. I found a better picture of the wiring, but it doesn't show whats going on inside.
Are all of the leds just wired to the male bulb connector without their own resistors? Are the individual leds wired together in series or parallel(should be parallel, I think)?

From your description, sounds like you tried the 25w resistor in parallel...maybe try it in series?
Same with the led banks...are you wiring them in series or parallel?
Just shooting blind here, but I promise you that it can work.
Yes, the LEDs circuits are located behind a glued plastic panel that you can't access, only the red and black wires coming through the plastic panel inside the taillight. I'm just not electronic-savvy enough to know how to make these work as planned. Thanks!
Old 04-21-2012, 07:11 AM   #8
JNC

We can send people to the moon, but I can't seem to get my depo fog leds to work with my brake leds on my 1999 Boxster. While there are several posts regarding....but I've yet to find it....or maybe it's just not possible????? Seems like it should be a simple mod???? Please see my post above......
Old 04-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
SoK

had these for a year and it bugs me that both sets of led's don't work on brake depress. hope we can figure this out, i'd love to get this working. i expected them to work like this when i bought them..
Old 04-26-2012, 04:19 PM   #10
JNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK View Post
had these for a year and it bugs me that both sets of led's don't work on brake depress. hope we can figure this out, i'd love to get this working. i expected them to work like this when i bought them..
I did too Sok. Plug and play my ass...lol! I actually had more rear tail lights with the OEM tail lights, but like the looks of these DEPO lights better. Thx for all replies!
Old 05-15-2012, 11:05 PM   #11

of led's don't work on brake depress. hope we can figure this out, i'd love to get this working. i expected them to work like this when i bought them..
would you want to get a new one ? low carbon led lights
--------------------------
flexible led strip lighting
led outdoor lighting fixtures
mini led light bars
EldaCartmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:02 AM   #12
SoK

I'm actually going to do the mod where the outside bank of LED's act as a turn signal instead of the old fashioned bulbs. Just waiting for a free weekend to do it. Do a search for DEPO tail l ights and you should be able to find the guys link to his site that started it.

found it: http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/34729-led-taillight-turn-signals-depo.html

Last edited by SoK; 05-16-2012 at 07:05 AM.
SoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #13
JNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldaCartmill View Post
of led's don't work on brake depress. hope we can figure this out, i'd love to get this working. i expected them to work like this when i bought them..
would you want to get a new one ? low carbon led lights
--------------------------
flexible led strip lighting
led outdoor lighting fixtures
mini led light bars
Same here Elda...let me know if you figure it out. Thx!
Old 05-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #14
JNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK View Post
I'm actually going to do the mod where the outside bank of LED's act as a turn signal instead of the old fashioned bulbs. Just waiting for a free weekend to do it. Do a search for DEPO tail l ights and you should be able to find the guys link to his site that started it.

found it: http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/34729-led-taillight-turn-signals-depo.html
I might try that myself SOK...let me know if you get that to work and how...thx!